Safety, Health, and Sustainability is implementing a new set of tools that are designed
to improve the safety and facilitate regulatory compliance in laboratories across
campus. CSUSM had originally began to use this software suite, which was developed
at the University of California, earlier this year as we implemented the “Procedures”
of these modules for use in our lock out tag out program
- Inspect: An inspection tool that is customized specifically to our campus that manages
the scheduling, completion and long-term tracking of safety inspections. SH&S will
be conducting its inspections using a mobile device, and will allow for the responsible
area person(s) to easily address their findings through a desktop computer.
- Procedures: A program that allows a user to create Lockout/Tagout procedures for a
variety of equipment in the work area. Using any mobile device, a user can add pictures,
make easy word edits and allow the completed procedure to be shared amongst users.
- Assessment: This tool allows Principal Investigators to identify hazards related to
their research. They can then share this and other critical safety information about
these hazards with the members of their laboratory.
Quick Instructions :
Creating an Assessment
- Log in to Assessment on your desktop computer at https://csu.risksafety.solutions/assessment/
- Add Group Members
- Click on the icon and select Manage Groups
- Select the group. It will typically be displayed as “YourName Lab”. Please do not
create an assessment for those groups that contain (INSPECT ONLY)
- In the section titled People, select Add and search for names. Select users to add to your group. When you have
finished adding names select Done
- If you wish to add a “delegate” to your group, you can do so by making the change
- Edit Group Members -> Select name/s you would like to edit and select the Edit You will be able to add or remove the delegate role for that group member.
To Begin Assessment
- Select the icon and select Take an Assessment
- Select Get Started
- Click on Select to choose your lab (example YourName Lab)
- Assessments have separate categories that address specific hazards in research environments.
- Mark Yes to begin answering questions for a specific hazard category.
- Each question is shown with a simple yes or no answer. Questions are defaulted to
- Choosing the information icon beside a question brings up relevant definitions.
- Mark Yes or No for each question as it relates to your workspace.
- At the end of each section you can Save or Save and Continue to move onto the next section
- When you are done answering the questions, click on Certify to complete the assessment
Before you begin your assessment
- Prepare a list of all lab group members including post docs, research associates,
lab managers, student assistants and volunteers.
- Know your chemical inventory hazards including mutagens, teratogens, carcinogens,
poisons, oxidizers, etc.
- Know your biological hazards inventory