department menu

Parent FAQ's

(Spanish Handout) 
  • What services are available at the Student Health & Counseling Services?

    •  Basic medical services  
    • Immunizations
    • Laboratory services
    • Confidential medical records
    • Health and Wellness Promotion services
    • Pharmacy services
    • Mental Health services with psychologists and/or psychiatrist 
    • Family Planning services - STI/STD Testing (Family PACT)
    • Sexual Violence Education and Advocacy -Support Services
    • Women’s Health
  • My student already has health insurance; do we still need to pay the fee?

    Yes.  The Student Health & Counseling Services (SHCS) fees are mandatory administrative fees that provide medical and mental health services to all regularly enrolled students.  This fee is not for health insurance.  The center offers convenient, affordable, accessible care without copays or deductibles, with the exception of visits with the Psychiatrist.  (See the next question) SHCS embraces a holistic and collaborative approach to healthcare offering primary care, preventive services, wellness education, sexual violence education & advocacy support services, mental health and counseling services and is accredited through the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.
  • Since my student is paying a fee in their fees and tuition are all the services free?

    Most services are either covered by the student health and counseling fees, but some services carry an additional fee.  Fees apply to psychiatry services, vaccines, x-rays, and prescriptions; there may be fees for procedures, labs, and supplies.   
  • Does SHCS offer after hour and weekend services?

    Although the Student Health & Counseling Center is not open in the evening during the week or on the weekends, there is information on our website, SHCS Emergency After Hours, for locations for service after regular business hours.  Also, students can also get a printed copy of local Urgent Care and Emergency Rooms from the pocket outside the clinic main door.
  • Now that my student has the services at SHCS should I cancel their health insurance?

    No, SHCS does not recommend that you cancel your child’s health insurance.  We recommend that students maintain health insurance coverage for emergency or specialty care services outside the scope of SHCS. 
  • My student has been receiving care from a local provider. Can we transition their care?

    This depends on the type of services your student has been receiving previously.  SHCS can provide ongoing services for a few chronic conditions, however, for ongoing management, it is best to have a conversation with the treating provider before your student arrives to develop an ongoing treatment plan with providers in this area (especially if care isn’t presently being provided in the San Diego county area).  For services that we cannot provide, we can recommend some local providers.
  • What immunizations does my child need in order to come to Cal State San Marcos?

    The CSU system requires all new and readmitted students born on or after January 1, 1957 to present proof of immunity to measles and rubella, or be immunized. Students under the age of 19 also need to show proof of immunity to the Hepatitis B virus, prior to their second semester at Cal State San Marcos.  These immunization requirements are being revised to include vaccines in accordance with CDC and CA Health Department guidelines. The effective date of these requirements has not been finalized, however, students are strongly advised to discuss all immunization needs with their primary care provider to ensure they have received the necessary vaccines. 
  • My student is on a medication. Can we transfer that prescription?

    Depending on the medication, it is possible to transfer prescriptions to the Student Health & Counseling Center.  If we have the prescription, we cannot bill your insurance for that prescription, but we can provide the student with a receipt for the prescription which could be used for reimbursement with your insurance company. 
  • My student does not have health insurance. Do you sell student health insurance?

    SHCS does not require or sell insurance.  However, it is important for students to have insurance coverage for emergency and specialty care services.  Student Health insurance is available for purchase through CSU Health Link.  More information can be found at CSU Health Link

    Since January 1, 2014, under new federal law, many CSU students and their families may be eligible for financial assistance in purchasing health insurance.  In California, the exchange for health insurance is called Covered California.  Covered California is an online marketplace for affordable health insurance.  Individuals and families may qualify for financial assistance in paying the costs of health insurance coverage.  More information can be found at Covered California  or

  • Are there any other requirements that need completion?

    Yes.  All incoming first year students must complete an on-line training on alcohol and sexual violence called Not Anymore! Students will receive email notification through their campus email account at the beginning of August 2018, with instructions for accessing the program and the required completion date.
  • Where can I find out more information about SHCS?