Your  Account:

Campus Programs FAQ


  • I want to create a new project. What do I do?

    As long as the source funding is not from a federal grant, complete a Project Agreement Form (Select: AX-CSUSM_Corporation-Campus_Program_Project_Form)*. Once completed with all required signatures, send the form to

  • What happens after I turn in a new project agreement?
    Once CSUSM Corporation receives the agreement form, we will route it for final approvals by CSUSM Corporation’s Executive Director as well as the Vice President of Finance & Administrative services as required. Once the form has obtained all necessary approvals & signatures, a new project number will be assigned and CSUSM Corporation will send a copy of the agreement along with a request to FSO to set up the new project in the Common Financial System. The fiscal authorities that signed the agreement on the new project will be cc’d on this request to FSO, and will receive the project number at this time.
  • Who manages my project?

    Each campus program has a Project Director (PD) with Delegation of Authority (DOA) who has fiscal responsibility for the revenue and expense activity of the project. An administrative coordinator may also have fiscal authority and responsibility for the project activity, and additional fiscal authorities can be assigned at the discretion of the PD. All of the authorized signers with fiscal authority are listed on the project agreement form. CSUSM Corporation reviews and monitors the projects in the SMURS business unit on a monthly basis.

  • How do I change delegations of authority on my project?

    Changes to a project are made using a Project Agreement Form (Select: AX-CSUSM_Corporation-Campus_Program_Project_Form)*; this is the same form used to set up a new project. On the form, check the box “Renewal/Revision of Existing Project” and complete the rest of the agreement as prompted; all sections of the project agreement must be filled in again. All of the project’s fiscal authority will need to sign the agreement. Once approvals are complete CSUSM Corporation will process and send a request to FSO to execute the requested changes.

  • Where do I send my documents?
    Document Direct Pay/ Invoices Independent Contractor Billing uploads/ Expenditure Transfer Requests Deposits

    Send to

    Use Requisition Process

    Deliver to Cashier’s Office

    Direct Pay forms and invoices to be paid should be sent to the Accounts Payable (A/P) department at . They do not accept dropped off documents.

    Purchase requisitions are keyed by the requesting department through CFS. You can find an online tutorial for keying purchase requisitions on our website, or information about the requisition process in the resources listed below.

    Independent contractor agreements use the requisition process once the IC Agreement is complete. Complete the agreement before keying it as a requisition and attach it to the requisition.

    Billing uploads and financial/expenditure transfer requests are emailed to .

    Deposits are taken by the department to Student Financial Services (SFS), Cashier’s office.

  • What is my chargeback number?

    The chargeback number for projects that are in the SMURS business unit start with 5, then the project number, then 01.
    Example: Project 85123, chargeback number = 58512301

    Not every project has a chargeback number created by default. If you have questions about a chargeback number contact

  • How do I do a financial or expenditure transfer?

    Use the Expenditure Transfer Form (ETR). You can transfer funds using this form between CSUSM Corporation and Foundation accounts, but not between CSUSM Corporation and CSUSM (stateside) accounts.

    The project and/or account that will incur the expense will be a positive (+) amount on the ETR, and the project and/or account that will be credited will be a negative (-) amount. Use account 670801 for the project that is transferring OUT and 670804 for the project that is transferring IN.

    Forward the completed form to for processing. 

    If your stateside department needs to bill a CSUSM Corporation or Foundation project, or your project needs to invoice a stateside department, you will need to complete an Interunit Billing Form. Forward the completed Interunit Billing Form to AND

    Note: The completed form needs to be submitted by the department that is incurring the expense with an approval by a fiscal authority, or an approval email from the department and fiscal authority can be included with the form.

  • Why are there revenues or expenses in the wrong Dept ID?

    The Department ID is not hard-coded with the project. The dept ID is included in the chartfield* string at the time the revenue or expense transaction is submitted. If you believe your report is showing the incorrect dept ID, please complete an Expenditure Transfer Form and forward it to

    *A chartfield string is defined as: Account – Fund – Dept ID – Class (if applicable) – Project.

  • I have a deficit balance on my project. What do I do?

    Review all of the activity on the project and search for errors. See question number 17 titled: “How do I check my balance or activity on my project?”

    If the revenues and expenses are correct, you may have an encumbrance (such as an open PO) that is making your project balance negative. If the PO balance is not going to be used, you can request that the PO be closed by completing a Purchase Order Amendment (Select: AX-CSUSM_Corporation-PO_Amendment)* form and this will release the funds back to your project.

    Does the PD have another project from which funds can be transferred? Is your project is expecting revenue and it hasn’t been received? If your project still has a deficit balance and you are not expecting revenue to clear it in the near future, please contact CSUSM Corporation by emailing .

  • How do I get a CSUSM Corporation ProCard?

    To obtain a CSUSM Corporation Procard, you need to complete a ProCard Agreement & Change Form
    (Select: FA-Procurement-ProCard_Agreement_Form) and attend a Procard training. Once the form is complete, the ProCard administration team will request a card from the bank on the project requestor’s behalf. Once the card has been received by the ProCard administration team, the requestor will be contacted.

  • Are there restrictions for expenses?

    The responsibility for expenses is with the PD who may delegate oversight to the department’s admin coordinator or budget analyst. Provided there are enough funds in the project to cover the expense(s) and the guidelines of CSUSM Corporation’s Public Relations Funds Policy, Travel Policy, Hospitality Policy, Procurement Policy, and Employment Guidelines are followed, the expense(s) is allowable. You can find these guidelines on the CSUSM Corporation CSUSM Corporation Policies website

  • I want to purchase software. What do I need to do?

    To purchase software, you will need to obtain approval through IITS’ Information Technology Review (ITR). To do this, you will need to complete their ITR form. This form is required for all purchases of Information or Computer technology. This purchase can be submitted as a requisition.

  • My purchase exceeds my ProCard limit/have an issue with my purchase. What do I need to do?
    To request a limit increase on your ProCard, follow the steps detailed in the ProCard Manual on page 7 and contact .
  • Do I need a hospitality form?

    As of 9/1/20, CSUSM Corporation requires a Hospitality Form for all purchases under the guidelines of Public Relations Funds Policy and Hospitality Policy, both found on the CSUSM Corporation website. See the CSUSM Procurement Hospitality page for link to the form.

  • I received revenue (checks/cash) for my project. What do I do?

    Complete a deposit form found on the CSUSM Corporation website. Once the form has been completed, deliver the checks/cash and the deposit form to the cashier’s office in Administrative HALL 3800 as soon as possible.

  • I need to create an invoice for my project. How do I do this?

    Complete a billing upload form.If you are not sure of the customer ID, auxiliary accounting can assist you. The “Description” section and “LINE DESCR” section are brief summaries of the reason for the invoice. Complete the chartfield string where you want the funds that you are billing for to be posted. Once the form is completed, email it to .

  • How do I check my balance or activity on my project?

    CFS & Data Warehouse is used to view and run reports for financial transactions. CFS User Guides are available on our website. If you are not sure which business unit your project is in, you can select SMFND and SMURS simultaneously. Include the fiscal year, the period (month), and the project number.

    It is important to display the “Project fdescr” as your first column to be sure that all activity on the project is captured. Running it by Dept ID only, may not show all project activity because a different Dept ID may have been used.

  • How do I know if my project is in the SMURS or SMFND business unit?

    There is more than one way to get this information. The fund number associated with the project will indicate SMURS or SMFND by the first 2 digits – 96xxx are SMFND fund numbers and 92xxx are SMURS fund numbers. To find this information, you can check your project agreement or look in Data Warehouse. You can also select “Bus Unit” as a column choice when you run a Data Warehouse report; for more information on this, see question titled: How do I check my balance or activity on my project?

  • How do I check the payment status of an invoice?
    You can check invoice payment status in CFS. Please review this "How To View Payment Status" guide provided by CSUSM's Accounts Payable department.
  • I’m not showing the same project balance as the CSUSM Corporation office. Why not?

    The “Financial Summary As of Period” tab in Data Warehouse provides the true project balance as the funds continue to roll forward year after year. If you are using the “Financial Summary Between Periods” tab, select period 0 as the beginning period for an accurate balance. Be sure to select “Project Fdescr” as your Column 1 heading after you have applied the appropriate filters.


  • My project activity is not coming up in Data Warehouse. Why not?

    Have you selected the correct business unit? Your project may reside in SMFND instead of SMURS and vice versa. Has any activity happened on your project yet? A report will not populate until revenue or expense activity has occurred. Is it a brand new project? It may not have been set up in the system yet.

  • What is the difference between a Guest Lecturer & an Independent Contractor Agreement?

    The Guest Lecturer Form is under review as of 7/26/2021. Please use the Independent Contractor Agreement process for now and contact with any questions.

    Independent Contractor Agreement form is used for independent contractors (IC’s) to perform as a consultant or specialist in an area of expertise and typically provides services over a specified period of time. The IC agreement is required and must be submitted to CSUSM Corporation prior to beginning any work on the service. Independent Contractors should be requested through the requisition process, and a purchase order number will be provided once the agreement is received and approved by CSUSM Corporation. Subsequent invoices, which must include the PO number, will be submitted by the IC and approved by the department, then transmitted to Accounts Payable by emailing the completed and approved invoice to  Certain CSU employees may not be engaged as an independent contractor.

    If the IC is a nonresident alien, there will be additional steps and forms to complete.  For more information, contact CSUSM Corporation HR at 760-750-4700 or

  • I want to pay a CSUSM or CSU staff or faculty member. What do I do?

    Faculty and staff members must be paid in accordance with the Overload and Additional Employment Guidelines. Direct questions about these guidelines to

    For faculty and CSUSM exempt employees, an Employment Authorization Form (EAF) must be submitted. For more information, please contact CSUSM Corporation Human Resources at .

    For non-exempt staff members you may submit a standard EAF form.  Prior to hiring a CSU faculty or staff member, you must contact CSUSM Corporation HR at or 760-750-4700.

  • I want to hire a retired CSUSM employee. Can I do that?
    A retired CSU employee can be hired by CSUSM Corporation with no restrictions, particularly with ‘wait’ time after retirement. The retired employee and the hiring department must complete the necessary new hire paperwork. The newly hired employee will need to participate in a new hire orientation with CSUSM Corporation. For more information contact CSUSM Corporation HR at or 750-760-4700.
  • I want to hire and pay an independent contractor. What do I need to do?
    To hire an independent contractor, a project fiscal authority needs to complete an Independent Contractor Agreement form and submit it through CSUSM Corporation's requisition process. A Purchase Order (PO) will be created for the IC, and invoices can be submitted to indicating the PO number for payment. 
  • What are the travel guidelines?

    CSUSM Corporation follows the CSUSM Travel Guidelines

  • Can I purchase Gift Cards?
    Gift Cards must be purchased in accordance with the established CSUSM Corporation Gift Card Procedures. Please read the full procedures and submit a request through our Wufoo form.
  • Who do I contact?

 * all eSignature forms have changed to Adobe Sign