Your  Account:

Licensing & Trademarks

Questions after reading? Email us at or call 760-750-4700. 

Pepsi Cola Company and CSUSM Pouring Rights Agreement

The University currently has an exclusive pouring rights agreement with the Pepsi‐Cola Company. Therefore only Pepsi Cola beverages may be marketed, promoted, sold or given away on the University campus and Temecula campus. All catering & food trucks are subject to the same requirement.

Using a CSUSM logo or word mark on a custom product

Many CSUSM alumni, fans, supporters, student and faculty groups and organizations wish to have custom quality products imprinted with official logos and word marks. A program has been established to protect and promote CSUSM trademarks in a positive and accountable way. CSUSM Corporation has been designated by the University to manage the use of CSUSM Logos and Marks. The information compiled here will help guide you through the process. 

What is a Trademark?

All names and visual representations of CSUSM are considered its “trademarks” and are protected. This includes all word marks, service marks, names, name variants, nicknames, logotypes, logos, insignia, shields, seals, designs, devices, or symbols that refer to CSUSM. Also included are any words, phrases or images that imply association with the University.  

What is Licensing?

Want to check if a vendor is licensed?: 

  1. Visit the CLC Licensee Search website
  2. In the search bar, type in "California State University San Marcos"
  3. Click on search
  4. The list will then appear

Licensing is a way for the integrity of university trademarks to be maintained. CSUSM Corporation partners with CLC Licensing Partners to manage licensing agreements with all vendors and individuals wishing to use CSUSM Logos and Marks. Manufacturers and sellers MUST hold a License Agreement in order to use CSUSM Logos and Marks. License agreements are granted on an annual basis. CLC Licensing Partners collects the administrative and licensing fees, checks for proper insurance, quality of vendors’ product and fair labor practices, and collects royalties. While license agreements are required for both resale and not-for-sale products, royalties are only paid on items for resale. 100% of royalties generated through CLC Licensing Partners are transferred to the campus. 

I want to use a campus logo or word mark – What now?

If you are using the campus logo or name on products for resale, give-away, or for your group or organization, follow the instructions below:

  1.  The University Store has the first right of refusal for production of all CSUSM trademarked product, both emblamatic and non-emblamatic. The first step is to submit an online quote requestAllow 4-6 weeks for new order, 2 weeks for reorder. Should you have any questions or need additional help/suggestions creating a custom product, contact the University Store Manager, by email or phone (760) 750-4731. 
  2. Should the University Store decline to fulfill the order, an outside vendor may be used.  If your design/product is approved for use, but the University Store cannot fulfill or wishes not to fulfill the order, the organization or individual wishing to order the product must ensure the vendor they use is licensed to use the trademark.  All University Store vendors currently hold CLC Licensing Partners licenses.  A real-time list of vendors that currently hold licenses for CSUSM trademarks is available on the CLC Licensing Partners website.  If the chosen vendor is not licensed, they must contact CLC Licensing Partners  to obtain a License Agreement prior to fulfilling any CSUSM product order.   

How Do I Apply For A License?

Follow the link below to find the application form for a license, and in-depth information around Learfield's licensing.

 For more information on the requirements and limitations of Internal vs Retail Licenses, check out our Quick Reference Guide. To get access, follow this link.

Additional Information

12/21/12; rev 04/22/13; rev 05/20/13; rev 06/26/19