Purchasing Health Insurance
All international students are required to purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage while they are in the United States. To meet the health insurance requirement, we suggest you purchase the CSU-sponsored health insurance which meets the Health Insurance Requirements listed below. Visit the USI Insurance Services website to enroll in the CSU-sponsored health insurance or to receive more information. Students may purchase health insurance online with a credit card or debit card.
*Please note, United HealthCare Insurance does not cover vision care or dental care.
Students looking at other insurance options: only the following alternative policies will be reviewed and they need to meet the Health Insurance Requirements listed below:
- Policies for students sponsored by their home government or the U.S. government
- Students covered with a U.S. policy through their own or a family member’s employment
- Policies issued through your home country that meet the requirements stated on the petition
Important: You must submit a petition to the Office of Global Education to approve your alternative policy. The petition must be accompanied by documentation clearly describing (in English) the policy benefits and restrictions.
*Do NOT purchase before the policy has been approved. Stop by the Office of Global Education to speak with an advisor about the petition process.
Examples of alternative policies that are no longer accepted:
Over 90% of the alternate insurance policies, especially those that were purchased
in another country as travel insurance, are not accepted by CSUSM.
- AIG/AUG Insurance - Japan, Korea
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance – Japan
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance – India
- Bajaj Allianz Insurance - India
- ISO Student Health Insurance - Any country
Health Insurance Requirement
Your health insurance must meet the following California State University International Student Health Insurance requirements:
- The medical benefit is unlimited, with a deductible of no more than $150.
- The policy is valid as long as you are enrolled at CSUSM.
- The repatriation benefit is at least $7,500.
- The medical evacuation benefit is at least $10,000.
- The policy provides equal benefits for men and women.
- The policy includes prenatal (pregnancy) and maternity coverage at no extra cost.
- The policy pays for pre-existing conditions after six months of continuous coverage.
On-Campus Health Services
The University has a complete Student Health & Counseling Services facility on campus with a physician and all students have access to the SHCS as part of their enrollment. SHCS will refer students to specialists if they cannot be treated on campus.
If you are an international student covered by the medical insurance policy offered by CSU San Marcos, you may either visit SHCS or your own physician. If you visit health services first, all deductible payments are waived if you are referred to a specialist. SHCS also provides immunizations for students needing to fulfil their immunization requirement and Aetna Health Insurance will reimburse students 100% of the cost. Stop by Global Education to find out how to file a claim.
All consultations with Student Health & Counseling Services are strictly confidential. U.S. law prohibits Health Services from releasing any information about you to anyone (including parents, spouses, or other relatives) without your written permission.
SHCS has health information available in many different languages. They also have access to interpreter services to assist you in understanding doctor's instructions.
SHCS is located directly across from the University Student Union. You can either stop by to make an appointment or call them.
Off-Campus Urgent Care Clinics
Always go to an Urgent Care Clinic if the situation is not life threatening. (Bring your health insurance card with you)
Gray Bill Medical (Escondido)
Urgent Care Clinic
225 E Second Ave.
Escondido, CA 92026
No Appointment Necessary
- 5:00pm-8:00pm Mon-Fri
- 8:00am-4:00pm Sat & Sun
Directions: Take 15 South, Exit: Valley Parkway going East (left). As you drive, the street changes to Second Ave…Keep going straight. The GRAY BILL Medical Center is on the right side of the street.
Concentra Urgent Care Clinic (San Marcos)
Urgent Care Clinic
740 Nordahl. Rd Ste 131
San Marcos, CA 92069
No Appointment Necessary
- 8:00am -8:00pm Mon-Fri
- 8:00am-5:00pm Sat & Sun
Directions: 78 East, Exit Nordahl…going Left