Your  Account:

F-1 Student Status

F-1 students must follow United States law in order to keep their student status. Please read the following information carefully.

After arriving in the U.S., you:

  • Must be a full-time student
  • Must attend all ALCI/University classes classes
  • Must earn passing grades in your ALCI classes
  • Must not let your I-20 expire
  • Must not let your passport expire
  • Must not work without prior approval by the ALCI and USCIS

You must attend all classes and show progress in your language learning. You can show progress by passing your classes. If you have too many absences or do not show progress in your classes, your I-20 will be terminated, you will lose your F-1 student status and you will be required to leave the United States immediately.

Travel Abroad & Re-entry
Before traveling outside of the United States (including day trips to Mexico or visits to Canada), you must have a:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1 student visa stamp in your passport*
  • Valid I-94
  • Valid I-20 with a current signature from you ALCI DSO
  • You may need a tourist visa for the country you are visiting.

*It is legal to stay in the U.S. with an expired F-1 student visa as long as you are in status and you have a valid I-20. However, if you leave the U.S. with an expired F-1 student visa, then you cannot reenter the U.S. without applying to renew your F-1 visa. This can only be done at a U.S. Consulate OUTSIDE the United States. 

More Information
If you have any questions about maintaining your F-1 student status or other immigration issues, please email or call the ALCI office at 760-750-3200 to make an appointment with the DSO.