Your  Account:

International Faculty & Scholars

Global Programs and Services and the Office of Global Education are pleased to support our CSUSM sponsored H-1B faculty and J-1 exchange scholar visa holders. We value your contribution to our community and hope we can help facilitate those connections.

 Per policy of the CSU Chancellors office, CSUSM will only offer sponsorship for the H-1B visa status for international faculty hired in a tenure-track position. Visiting scholars who have been invited by a CSUSM faculty or department may be issued the DS-2019 document to apply for the J-1 visa.


The H-1B nonimmigrant status permits temporary employment in specialty occupations, thus appropriate for tenure track positions. An H-1B employee must have professional skills and a university degree (at minimum, a bachelor’s degree though for faculty the Ph.d is generally expected) in the same or similar field as the job offered. Under current regulations, H-1B status is granted for an initial period of three years, and a three-year extension is possible for a maximum duration of six years. The H-1B petition is employer-specific, therefore, for those sponsored by CSUSM, employment outside CSUSM while on the H-1 visa is not allowed.

Dependents of H-1B holders are eligible for H-4 status.

Incoming Faculty who have been offered a tenure-track position may reach out to:

Danielle McMartin, Director- Office of Global Education (

J-1 Exchange Visitor at CSUSM

CSUSM is authorized through the U.S. Department of State to sponsor exchange visitors in the following categories; Professor, Research Scholars and Short-term Scholars.

Determination of which category is appropriate will be managed by the Office of Global Education and the CSUSM faculty or department offering the temporary scholar position.

 Incoming Scholars who have been in contact with a CSUSM faculty or department already may reach out to:

Danielle McMartin, Director- Office of Global Education (



International Faculty & Scholar Handbook