International Business Travel Study, Europe in Germany, Austria, and Italy
Follow @gbm.440 on Instagram
"I would highly recommend any business student to attend this travel study business trip...one is able to get out of his or her comfort zone and not only learn about some of the companies and landmarks located in these countries, but is able to appreciate other cultures as well." ~Sarai Ramirez, 2016
Enjoy the sights, sounds, and tastes of central Europe while touring world-renowned companies (e.g., Mercedes- Benz, BMW, HP Enterprise), hearing lectures on European economics and business culture at European universities, and visiting important cultural and historical sites (e.g., Dachau). Students will be guided by Professor Ben Cherry as he invites them to explore the joy of traveling Europe, hearing new languages, discovering new business opportunities, and uncovering the wonder of different cultures and people.
Global Business Management 440C: International Business Travel Study, Europe
May 20 - June 4, 2024
Proposed Study Tour (set tours/itineraries subject to change):
- City Walking Tour
- Welcome Dinner
- Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
- BMW Plant, company headquarters
- FlixBus, long-distance bus company
- Guided tour of Spaten-Franziskaner Brau, Bavarian distillery
- Highline179 Bridge
- Ehrenberg Castle Ruins Museum
- Partnach Gorge
- City Walking Tour
- Hofkirche, Renaissance Gothic Church
- Bergisel Olympic Stadium Tour
- Black Diamond Europe
- GRASSMAYR Bell Foundry & Bell Museum
Obstbau Nuberlin, family-run orchard
- Corporate Visit and Tour TBD
- Walking Tour of Tubingen
- University of Tubingen Campus Visit & Guest Lecture (Tentative)
- Stuttgart 21 Tunnel Cannstatt Tour
- Mercedes-Benz Auto Manufacturing Plant Tour
- Mercedes-Benz Museum
- Corporate Visit & Tour TBD
- Farewell Dinner
Language of Instruction:
- Class level: Upper-division standing or prior approval by professor
- Completion of Pre-Business Core or prior approval by professor
- GPA: 2.75 and above; good academic standing prior to departure
- Current COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initial vaccination(s) plus at least one booster if eligible) is strongly encouraged for participation in any of CSUSM’s international travel programs due to the increased risk of contracting COVID while travelling.
4 units of upper division Business elective units applicable to nearly all CoBA options
Shared rooms in clean, high quality, 3 and 4-star hotels throughout the countries visited
$3,950* + Extended Learning Fees, estimated at $808
Program fees include transportation in country, accommodation, daily buffet breakfast, excursions, and medical insurance. Airfare and personal expenditures are NOT included in the program cost. Tuition fees for GBM 440C are run through Extended Learning, and should average around $808, billed directly to myCSUSM student accounts.
*Program fees will drop to $3,600 if enrollment exceeds 20 students!
A Note on Financial Aid & Veteran's Benefits:
Please note that January and Summer programs are not financial aid eligible since they are optional terms at CSUSM, and therefore, all program fees would be considered out-of-pocket. All program fees maintain strict deadlines and are due to the Office of Global Education the term prior to when studies will take place, following the dates set forward in the How to Apply section below. Tuition will be billed onto your student account according to the timelines of Extended Learning and must be paid through the structure set forth by University Cashiers. You may begin researching alternative loans, Parent PLUS loan options etc. through the Office of Financial Aid: email@example.com
If you are using VA benefits (CH33 or CH35), you must verify with Study Abroad that the program meets all of the following criteria:
- Taught by CSUSM faculty
- Course is needed as part of your degree plan
- Tuition charges will appear on you student account
If all of the above criteria are met – you must reach out to Veterans Services for additional eligibility information – prior to signing up for the program.
Note: Only the tuition piece of the program – if approved – can be submitted to the VA for payment. All other costs will be the student’s responsibility.
If you are using CALVET – you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Some Useful Airfare Search Engines:
An adult passport book with at least 6 months validity until expiration is necessary for overseas travel. First-time passport book applicants can expect processing times up to 4 months. Plan to submit your passport applications early if you enroll in this program as withdrawals due to passport delays will not be refunded. Non-US travelers are responsible for researching entry requirements and possible visas through their country's consular pages.
How to Apply:
- RSVP and attend an information session by Faculty Leader, Ben Cherry. Fill out the online application materials via the link below. All application materials must be received by noon December 15, along with your $500 non-refundable deposit. Space is limited! Online payment preferred through TransAct. Please be advised to choose E-check and enter your checking account details to avoid the 2.65% convenience fees applicable to all non-checking account payments. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted via the Cashier's Office in Cougar Central, but must include this deposit form to track the payment..
- A second payment of $500 is due by noon February 9. TransAct payment is preferred as outlined above. Payment of tuition related expenses ($808) will be billed by Extended Learning and
appear on your Student Center, following the payment guidelines set out for Summer
- Final payment of program fees is due by noon March 15 via the methods outlined above.
- Attend a mandatory Health & Safety Meet and Greet with Global Education to discuss travel, practical planning, & health and safety, date TBD.
- Submit your flight details to Global Education: Flight Information Form
- A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Dr. Cherry to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course. Proof of attendance will be recorded.
Please contact Professor Ben Cherry for additional details. email@example.com
GBM Travel Study Europe Application*:
*As of 11/29, the program is at capacity. You may still apply to be added to the waitlist, but we ask that you hold any deposit monies until we are certain of space for you.