Summer in Spain: Spanish for Teachers
Universidad de Valladolid
The University of Valladolid is historically one of the oldest universities in Spain, serving students for over 700 years. Currently boasting a student population of over 30,000 across its regional campuses throughout Castilla y Leon, the Universtiy of Valladolid remains a model of excellence in teaching and research, as well as a leader in the promotion of the language, heritage and environment of the region of Castilla y León!
The Training for Teachers of Spanish as a Second Language is under the guidance of Faculty Leader, Dr. Ana Hernandez and Co-Leader, Dr. Xochitl Archey. Students in this program will learn key techniques and useful tools for the application of Spanish teaching skills to the classroom. Teachers will have a total immersion experience as they integrate into Spanish life, language, and culture over the course of their two week stay.
Generally, class will run Monday through Friday, with intensive language instruction by Valladolid faculty in the morning/early afternoon, followed by culture class in the afternoon on select days. In addition, students are encouraged to attend excursions in the city and region to further bring their learning to life.
Program excursions may change, but are anticipated as:
- The historic & beautiful castle city of Segovia & Peñafiel's local Castle and Wine Museum.
- July 3-14, 2023 (Students should arrive in Valladolid by July 1 to meet their homestays and settle in before classes begin on Monday, July 3)
- EDUC 696-005: Advanced Training for Teachers of Spanish as a Second Language
*Please consult with Dr. Ana Hernandez, School of Education, for curricular questions, email@example.com
Language of Instruction:
- Class level: Graduate or Teacher Candidates
- GPA: 3.0 and above; satisfactory academic performance to departure
- Proof of current COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initial vaccination(s) plus at least one booster if eligible) is required to participate in any of CSUSM’s international travel programs. Due to the increased risk of contracting COVID while travelling, as well as the increased likelihood of having serious complications from COVID if you are not vaccinated, exemptions (religious or medical) are not currently accepted for our travel abroad programs; COVID vaccination is a required pre-requisite.
3 units, EDUC 696
Please note: Financial Aid eligibility is based upon how much aid you have left over from the current school year. There is no extra financial aid for summer, so please budget accordingly.
All program participants will be assigned to individual rooms with a homestay family for the duration of their stay in Valladolid. The homestay environment will offer wonderful insights into Spanish culture and many practical benefits of Spanish language practice. Some homestays can house only one student, while others may take in up to three, with each student housed in individual rooms. There is no guarantee that friends will be placed in the same homestay, but careful attention will be given to placing students in the environment best suited to their personalities and preferences. All homestays will be within a reasonable walk or bus route to the university.
$2,100* program fees to Global Education AND $252 tuition fees to Extended Learning billed to your student center if you are seeking credits for the course.
All fees include tuition, full room and board, medical insurance, and limited excursions. Airfare, transport to/from Madrid Barajas airport to Valladolid and personal expenditures are NOT included in the program cost.
*Final program price is contingent upon enrollment and currency fluctuation. Global Education will finalize the final payment with registered participants before the due date to hopefully offer a reduced fee.
Faculty Led Cancellation Policy
Some useful airfare search engines:
Please be sure to read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, etc. before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline. Do NOT book flights until Global Education has given you the authorization to do so. Adding trip insurance is highly advisable.
An adult passport book with at least 6 months validity until expiration is necessary for overseas travel. First-time passport book applicants can expect processing times up to 4 months. Plan to submit your passport applications early if you enroll in this program as withdrawals due to passport delays will not be refunded. Non-US travelers are responsible for researching entry requirements and possible visas through their country's consular pages.
Get a Feel for Valladolid...courtesy of YouTube
- Attend an information session led by faculty leader, Ana Hernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org) and co-leader, Dr. Xochitl Archey. Once proof of attendance is verified, you are eligible to apply. Space is first come, first served.
- Fill out the online application materials via the link below. All application materials must be received by Friday, March 31, 2023 along with your non-refundable $500 deposit to the Office of Global Education, ELB 588. Online payment preferred through TransAct. Please be advised to choose E-check and enter your checking account details to avoid the 2.65% convenience fees applicable to all non-checking account payments. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted via the Cashier's Office in Cougar Central, but must include this deposit form to track the payment.
- Final payment is due on Friday, May 12, 2023 via the payment methods outlined above.
Final payments preferred via TransAct. See #2 above for specifics.
- A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Professors Hernandez and Archey to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course. Proof of attendance will be recorded.
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
Summer in Spain: Spanish for Teachers Application:
Summer in Spain Spanish for Teachers Application
Attend an Info Session!
|Wednesday, February 15||4:00-5:00 PM||https://csusm.zoom.us/j/81389225168|