Are there any prerequisites?
Each student must take an online language proficiency assessment.
CSUSM has contracted with LTI The ACTFL Language Testing Office to administer the
online language proficiency exam. Exam fee is $105. Please contact Cathy Scavone at
760-750-8706 or email@example.com for exam registration. The following languages are currently available: Arabic, Chinese
Mandarin, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Pashto, Persian, Portuguese,
Portuguese-Brazilian,Russian, Spanish and Tagalog. If additional languages are requested,
please contact Cathy. Students must pass their exams with a score of Advanced Mid-Level
Will I receive a certificate if I pass the program?
After you successfully attend all course sessions, pass the two-hour written assessment
and provide documentation of passing the individual language proficiency exam, you
will be qualified as an interpreter and you will receive a Professional Certificate in Community Interpreting
from California State University San Marcos.
What services do you offer to active military, veterans and dependents?
Please visit our military and veteran services page to learn how we can help.
Does this program qualify for any SHRM recertification PDCs?
Yes, this program is valid for 40.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
Are language skills in-demand?
A 2019 report by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages found that:
- 9 out of 10 U.S. employers rely on college graduates with language skills other than
- 56% of U.S. employers say that their language skill demand will increase in the next
- 47% of U.S. employers state a need for language skills exclusively for the domestic
- 1 in 3 language-dependent U.S. employers report a language skills gap
- 1 in 4 U.S. employers lost business due to a lack of language skills