How To Apply
Important note: To have a complete application, your application must be successfully submitted and all supplemental documents (i.e. transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores, etc.) must be received by the stated deadline for the specific program. Any documents or applications received after the stated deadline may not be considered.
- Step 1: Visit the program webpageView specific admission requirements and any additional materials required for your application on the program webpage. Find your program webpage.
- Step 2: Submit your application
- Click the application link above for the term you are applying for
- Create your CSU Apply account
- Complete your profile, save your username and password
- For bachelor’s degrees: select “Undergraduate” for the level of degree you are seeking
- For master’s degrees: select “Graduate” for the level of degree you are seeking and “Master’s degree or higher” for the type of degree
- For credentials: select "Graduate" for the level of the degree you are seeking and "Credential" for the type of degree.
- For certificate programs: select "Graduate" for the level of degree and "Post Baccalaureate Certificate" for the type of degree.
- Start your application
- Select “Cal State San Marcos” from the program selection page
- Select the program you are applying for under “San Marcos Extended Learning”
- Follow instructions to complete all four quadrants of the application
- Under “Academic History,” you may skip “Transcript Entry” by selecting “I am not adding any college transcripts” since official transcripts are required
- Once complete, submit your application, you will be prompted to pay the $70 non-refundable application fee
- Program materials section (if required for your program)
- Upload the following items:
- Personal statement (review program page for specific instructions)
- Letters of recommendation (review program page for specific instructions)
- You will be asked to provide the full name and email addresses of all evaluators/references.
- Upload the following items:
- Do NOT move to Step 3 until you have successfully submitted your application.
- Prematurely continuing to Step 3 may result in delays in processing your application.
Please note: Your application is not officially submitted until payment has been received. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours upon successful submission of your application. If you don't receive a confirmation email, login to your CSU Apply account and ensure the status of your application is "Posted." Any other status indicates your application has not been successfully submitted to the university.
- Step 3: Submit official transcripts
In addition to submitting the university application and application fee, you must request and submit one official transcript from each academic institution attended. This includes classes completed through a college or university while the applicant was in High School.
Electronic Delivery: This is the preferred transcript delivery method. CSUSM requires electronic transcripts from listed colleges/universities. If your school is not on the list, verify with your school if an electronic transcript is available. Electronic transcripts can be provided through external or third party vendors such as Credential Solutions, eTranscriptCA, National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment, etc. When ordering your transcript, please choose California State University San Marcos as the intended recipient from the school name dropdown. If California State University San Marcos is not listed, please use email@example.com as the recipient email address.
Mailed Transcripts: All official transcripts must be mailed or delivered in sealed envelopes to the address below:
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
California State University San Marcos
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096
ATTN: ((Your Program Name))
Once you have submitted your transcripts, it may take up to 14 business days after the university has received your transcript(s) for your record to be updated. If after 14 business days your record has not been updated, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Previous CSUSM students who have not completed coursework at CSUSM in the last year should resend all official transcripts as the originals may have been archived.
AP Scores: If you have completed AP coursework and sat for the exam, please understand that official AP scores may be required in the case that we cannot find specific coursework to meet a requirement. In order to avoid delays in determining your eligibility we recommend you send your official AP scores when you send your transcripts.
Revised/New Transcripts: Students submitting updated transcripts or transcripts from institutions not listed on the original application should email email@example.com to indicate the transcript has been sent. Please include your full name, the school from which the transcript was sent and the program name.
International students: You must submit academic records from foreign institutions. The original foreign transcript must be on file and if they are not written in English, they must be accompanied by certified English translations. Official transcripts from foreign institutions MUST be sent through postal mail to the address listed above.
- Step 4: Satisfy English proficiency requirement
This step is only for applicants who have taken coursework internationally.
All applicants, regardless of citizenship, who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a postsecondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must satisfy the English language proficiency requirement. Typically, applicants demonstrate the English proficiency requirement by submitting results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam, or Cambridge English score report. Submission of these test scores should be sent to the following address:
California State University San Marcos
ATTN: Extended Learning
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001
*NOTE: We encourage applicants to submit the documents listed above in one packet; however, we understand this may not be possible. Please review your Student Center at MYCSUSM to ensure we have received your documents in a timely manner.
Provided below are the CSU required minimum scores for each option:
Undergraduate score requirements:
- TOEFL score of 61 iBT with writing score no lower than 19 and no section score below 14
- IELTS overall band score of 5.5, writing score no lower than 5.5 and no section score below 5.0
- Cambridge English B2 First (FCE), C1 Advanced (CAE), C2 Proficiency (CPE) minimum score of 168. (160 and above eligible for pathway program)
Graduate score requirements:
- TOEFL score of 80 iBT
- IELTS overall band score of 6.0, writing score no lower than 6.0 and no section score below 5.5
- Cambridge English CI Advanced (CAE), C2 Proficiency (CPE)-certificate awarded with a Cambridge English score of 180 or higher
- Step 5: After completing steps 1-3 aboveOnce you apply to your program and send your transcripts and other required documents there are several steps you must take to be set up for success in your first semester and beyond. Please visit the applicant resource page for more information about your next steps.