Master's Degree Admission Requirements
- Conferred bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum GPA of a 2.5 in the last degree completed or in the 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted
- Application to the university in the graduate/post-baccalaureate program
- A clear teaching credential
- Four years of successful, full-time experience in a public school, nonpublic school,
or private school of equivalent status
- This experience may be teaching, pupil personnel work, librarianship, health services, or clinical or rehabilitative services
- Substitute or part-time services does not apply
- Verification of employment must be on district or employing agency letterhead and signed by the superintendent, assistant superintendent, director of personnel, or director of human resources
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended
- Two recent letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the candidate's work in the field of education, preferably from supervisors
- Employment and/or access to a school where there is cooperation to conduct the master's
program field study courses, and the California Administrative Performance Assessment
(CalAPA) data collection, instructional coaching, and stakeholder interviews (as required
by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing) with students, faculty, and staff, and
- Applicants may be asked to submit additional documentation to satisfy this requirement
- A writing prompt, please respond to the following prompt:
- When you reflect on your current role in the workplace, describe how you are supporting educational equity and how you hope to expand that goal as a future leader.
- No GRE required to apply
Please note: To be considered for admission you must reside in an approved state.
Preliminary Administrative Services Credential and Certificate of Eligibility Information
Admission to CSUSM’s program does not guarantee that you will obtain the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential or Certificate of Eligibility. If you are interested in obtaining the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential or Certificate of Eligibility you must meet specific requirements as defined by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). It is your responsibility to understand the specific requirements related to the credential or certificate. Information regarding the requirements may be found on the CTC website.
Upon completion of all of the appropriate coursework associated with the program, CSUSM will be responsible for providing a formal recommendation to the CTC for those pursuing the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential or Certificate of Eligibility. You will only be recommended for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential or Certificate of Eligibility if you have satisfied the requirements as outlined by the CTC.
Please understand, the CSU will not refund tuition, fees, or any associated costs, to those who determine subsequent to admission that they cannot meet the credentialing requirements.
NOTICE TO STUDENTS re: PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION
California State University programs for professions that require licensure or certification are intended to prepare the student to meet California licensure and certification requirements. Admission into programs for professions that require licensure and certification does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or certificate. Licensure and certification requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the California State University and licensure and certification requirements can change at any time.The California State University has not determined whether its programs meet other states’ educational or professional requirements for licensure and certification. Students enrolled in a California State University program who are planning to pursue licensure or certification in other states are responsible for determining whether they will meet their state’s requirements for licensure or certification. This disclosure is made pursuant to 34 CFR §668.43(a)(5)(v)(C).