A+ Network+ & Security+ Certification Prep
These online facilitated courses will prepare you to pass the CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ certification exams. Upon completion of these courses, you will receive a voucher to schedule your exam at any Pearson VUE testing center. These courses meet the ISO 17024 standard and are approved by U.S. Department of Defense to fulfill Directive 8570.01-M requirements. They are compliant with government regulations under the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA). These programs will also prepare you for CSUSM's MS Cybersecurity program.
- SCHEDULE, REGISTRATION, FEES
Course Dates Registration
A+ Certification Exam Prep
Aug. 31 - Dec. 21, 2023
Network+ Certification Exam Prep
Aug. 31 - Dec. 21, 2023
- Classes held online
- A+ program fee is $1995
- Combined Network+ and Security+ program fee is $2,995
- Bundle and Save! Combined A+, Network+ and Security+ program fee is $4,890
- Exam voucher
- Required books and course materials
- Using Third Party Funding To Register? Please contact us
- This course is eligible for a 10% military discount, view veteran and military funding options
- The following programs are MyCAA and WIOA funding approved
- A+ Certification Exam Prep
- Network+ and Security+ Certification Exam Prep
- A+, Network+ and Security+ Certification Exam Prep
- CSUSM alumni are eligible for a 10% discount
Please note: All rates are subject to change without notice.
- COURSE TOPICS
CompTIA™ A+ Certification is a critical first step in opening the door to your IT career. Throughout this program, you will learn the essential skills needed to start a career working within the industry. CompTIA™ A+ Certification is vendor neutral and internationally recognized, giving you a competitive advantage no matter what country you're working in and what hardware you're working with. Upon completion of the program, you will be given a voucher to take CompTIA A+™ certifying exam (CompTIA 220-1001 and 220-1002). This program is fully online and instructor-led.
Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) Network+ is a globally recognized certification in networking that helps develop your career in IT infrastructure by covering troubleshooting, configuring and managing networks.
This certification ensures you are able to:
- Design and implement functional networks
- Configure and maintain essential network devices
- Use devices such as switches and routers to segment network traffic and create resilient networks
- Identify benefits and constraints of existing network configurations
- Implement network security, standards and protocols
- Troubleshoot network problems
- Support the creation of virtualized networks
Jobs that use Network+:
- Junior network administrator
- Network field technician
- Junior system engineer
- IS consultant
- Network field engineer
- Computer technician
- Help desk technician
- System engineer
- Network support specialist
- Network analyst
Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) Security+ is a globally recognized certification that focuses on the core security functions that enable you to pursue an IT security career. It is recommended as the first security certification IT professionals should earn.
This certification focuses on:
- Core knowledge required in any cybersecurity role
- Preparing you for intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs
- Hands-on troubleshooting to ensure you have practical security problem-solving skills
- Identifying and addressing security incidents
Jobs that use Security+:
- Systems administrator
- Security administrator
- Security specialist
- Security engineer
- Network administrator
- Junior IT auditor/penetration tester
- Security consultant
Instructor, CompTIA A+ Certification Prep
Charles graduated CSUSM in 1999 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science. He also achieved a Master's cert in Software Engineering from The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University in Plano, Texas. From there moved across the country as a video game programmer for 8 years and has published several AAA titles. He's worked in IT for over 20 years in the private, academic, and healthcare sectors.
What services do you offer to active military, veterans and dependents?
Please visit our military and veteran services page to learn how we can help.
What are the course topics?
- ARP - spoofing and poisoning
- Firewall - enterprise and local
- Network architecture
- Authentication - centralized vs. decentralized
- Centralized control model (AD and GPOs)
- DNS - poisoning
- DHCP - rogue DHCP
- WiFi - rogue WiFi
- Traffic - encripted or not and how to detect
- Services - listener
- Server hardening
- Permissions - access controls list
- NTFS vs. share permissions
- CIFS vs. SMB
- Packet captures - looking at email headers, etc.
- Non-IP traffic
- Hidden shares
- Mobile operating systems
- VPNs - split tunneling, IPSEC
- Content delivery networks
- CLI primer
- Flow of data and network diagrams
- Patching and patch cycles
- Password cracking
- BASH, powershell scripting and loops
- Common OS problems
- Social engineering
- Vulnerability and network scanning
- WiFi cracking
- Session hijacking
- And more!
What is the enrollment policy?
Students are responsible for completing by the course end date.
Extension requests must be received within two (2) weeks prior to the student’s original end date. In general, students may be granted one extension within the same fiscal year (July 1- June 30) free of charge. Student shall be responsible for the cost of new materials (if applicable). Extensions requested beyond the current fiscal year is $50 per semester, plus the cost of new course materials (if applicable). Extension fees are not refundable. Email us to request extension.
A "hold" is a permitted suspension of the student's participation in the program without penalty. In general, the student may request a hold for 1 semester, which may be granted for those with extenuating circumstances such as military deployment or documented medical concerns. Extension policy (above) applies. Email us to request a hold.
Enrollment in this program shall not exceed 12 months. After which students are required to re-register.
To review drop, refund, and transfer policies for online noncredit classes: https://www.csusm.edu/el/admissions/feesandpayments.html
Prepare for the A+, Network+ and Security+ exams with these online prep programs that include hands-on experience using online simulation resources
Courses meet the ISO 17024 standard, are approved by the Department of Defense to fulfill directive 8570.01-M requirements and are compliant with Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) regulations
These programs will help prepare you for CSUSM’s online master’s degree in cybersecurity
Course topics include identifying and addressing security incidents, configuring and managing networks, implementing security protocols and more