In partnership with ed2go, CSUSM Extended Learning offers an extensive catalog of affordable workforce training programs that you can complete 100% online and on your own schedule. Gain the skills and industry certifications you need to start or advance your career in high-demand fields. Learn from industry experts in a flexible, self-paced format and get personalized support from a dedicated student advisor. Enroll anytime and receive a certificate of completion from CSUSM Extended Learning after successfully completing your program. Some program fees include a voucher for the certification exam.
California has the strictest requirements to be a tax preparer, but also one of the greatest needs for these professionals come tax season. This fully online course will train you to work as a California Tax Preparer and meet the standards required by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC).
Understand how to file tax returns for all individual U.S. taxpayers, small businesses, corporate partnerships and sole-proprietorships
This course was developed in partnership with The Income Tax School, a California Tax Education Council (CTEC) approved training provider
Online classes are available virtually anytime to fit your busy schedule
A high school diploma or equivalent is a prerequisite for this course, accounting and specific math skills aren't required, just the aptitude to work with numbers and people and to read and interpret the tax laws
- SCHEDULE, REGISTRATION & FEES
Course Dates Registration
Chartered Tax Professional for California Residents
Start any time
- Classes held online
- Classes are self-paced and completed in 18 months or less
- Program fee is $1,995
- Learn from industry experts in a flexible, self-paced format
- Get personalized support from a dedicated student advisor
- Fees may include voucher for industry certification exam
Please note: All rates are subject to change without notice.
- COURSE TOPICS
- Accumulate the required educational experience to qualify as a California Tax Preparer set by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC)
- Gain the tax knowledge and experience needed to take the Enrolled Agent (EA) exam and Special Enrollment Examination (SEE), issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Understand how to file tax returns for all individual U.S. taxpayers, small businesses, corporate partnerships and sole-proprietorships
- California Income Tax Preparation
- How to prepare taxes for individuals in California; regulations and exceptions
- Individual Income Tax Preparation
- Accounting ethics and laws that affect tax laws in California; auto expenses, self-employment tax, capital gains and losses
- Small Business Income Tax Preparation
- Business types, accounting methods, and financial statements; general business credits, tax issues related to business, and the financial side of selling or liquidating a business
Peoples Income Tax, Inc.
This is a self-paced course with additional support provided by experienced tax professionals at Peoples Income Tax, Inc., a subsidiary of The Income Tax School.
What is a chartered tax professional?
The designation of “Chartered Tax Professional” is given to tax preparers that pass six training modules on Federal income tax preparation. To earn this designation, individuals must meet and exceed the educational requirements set by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC).
How do I become a California tax preparer?
Per the State of California Franchise Tax Board, to work as a tax preparer in California, you must meet requirements set by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC) and register with the CTEC.
What are the CTCE requirements for becoming a tax preparer in California?
The CTCE requires that you:
- Have a minimum of 60 hours of educational training from a CTEC-approved provider
- Purchase a $5,000 tax preparer bond from an insurance/surety agent
- Obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
Is this course approved by the CTCE?
Yes. This course was developed in partnership with The Income Tax School, a CTEC-approved training provider.
Why are the standards for working as a tax preparer in California so strict?
Considering that many states depend on income tax revenue to fund public programs, overseeing tax preparation is vital to ensuring taxes are filed accurately and in good faith to the taxpayer. California is one of a handful of states that regulate tax preparers and require that they hold a license or meet certain state-mandates.
What services do you offer to active military, veterans and dependents?
Please visit our military and veteran services page to learn how we can help.
(855) 520 - 6806
Forbes found that California is one of the top states for tax preparers to earn the most money. The average annual salary for California Tax Preparers is approximately $60,000, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.Read more