In partnership with ed2go, CSUSM Extended Learning offers an extensive catalog of affordable workforce training programs that you can complete 100% online and on your own schedule. Gain the skills and industry certifications you need to start or advance your career in high-demand fields. Learn from industry experts in a flexible, self-paced format and get personalized support from a dedicated student advisor. Enroll anytime and receive a certificate of completion from CSUSM Extended Learning after successfully completing your program. Some program fees include a voucher for the certification exam.
Photoshop is the premier tool for graphic designers in the greater San Diego-Carlsbad metro region. This fully online course will teach you how to produce high-quality digital and print graphic designs. Key topics include visual communication standards, design theory and use of Photoshop.
Photoshop skills are among the most widely-cited qualifications for entry-level graphic design jobs and are valuable for freelance graphics design projects
This course is taught by professional and experienced graphic designers, each with more than 30 years of experience
Online classes are available virtually anytime to fit your busy schedule
There are no prerequisites to take this course, just register and get started
- SCHEDULE, REGISTRATION & FEES
Course Dates Registration
Graphic Design with Photoshop
Start any time
- Classes held online
- Classes are self-paced and completed in 9 months or less
- Program fee is $2,095
- Learn from industry experts in a flexible, self-paced format
- Get personalized support from a dedicated student advisor
- Fees may include voucher for industry certification exam
Please note: All rates are subject to change without notice.
- COURSE TOPICS
- Learn professional graphic design concepts and terminology
- Develop skills with Photoshop workspace tools
- Trace the history of design and its influence on contemporary design standards and trends
- Develop a portfolio of creative work
- Understanding the Client
- Learn how to communicate effectively with a current or prospective client. Understand your needs and questions to ask before embarking on a new project, including what is the client trying to promote and who is the target audience?
- Design the Logo
- Begin learning the basics of design. This section of the course will cover how to effectively create a logo, submit proofs, and collaborate with a client.
- Design, Layout and Color Fundamentals
- Next, understand design, layout, and color fundamentals. Learn how to define the project's style and tone, create an effective layout, and how to choose the right colors.
- Working with Type
- Explore the role of type in graphic design. Begin to be able to identify font characters and choose the right font for headings and body text. Lastly, you'll work with creating and placing blocks of text.
- Photo Editing
- Dive into the world of Photoshop. Build a foundation of knowledge regarding opening photos, resizing and cropping images, using retouching tools, creating a composite image, and adjusting tone, color, and contrast.
- Designing a Brochure
- Put your new skills to use by creating a brochure from scratch. You’ll layout the brochure’s panels, choose fonts and colors, and fine tune your design for visual impact.
- Creating Print Advertising
- Design a print ad that conveys information through a compelling imagery and text.
- Designing for the Web
- Apply your graphic design skills to a web-specific design. You’ll also learn how to create effective creative for social media and web user experience.
- Email Advertising
- Discover how to create effective assets for email marketing campaigns.
- Bringing It All Together
- Complete the course by creating a complete marketing package. As the class concludes, you'll learn about production methods, website options, and how to create camera-ready art for print.
Laurie Ulrich is an accomplished graphic design professional, teacher and author. Her firm provides graphic design, training, marketing and web development services to a global client base. She is the author of over 30 books including Access 2016 for Dummies. She is an expert on brand-building through outreach, promotion and education.
Randy Rolen is a professional graphics designer with over 30 years of experience. He has served as Senior Graphics Designer for high tech companies and has operated his own graphics design firm since 1993. He specialized in web-based design, including websites and banner advertising. He has been teaching online since 2002.
What do graphic designers do with Photoshop?
According to Adobe, the company behind Photoshop, their customers use Photoshop for an almost unlimited variety of 2D and 3D design projects. Common tasks include photo and video editing, manipulation and compositing, logo design, typography and print layouts along with an array of business applications like document design for letterhead and business cards.
Are Photoshop skills good for an entry-level design job?
Photoshop skills are among the most widely-cited qualifications for entry-level graphics design jobs. They are also valuable for freelance graphics design projects.
What are the most popular graphic designs created with Photoshop?
Along with general graphic design skills, Photoshop is most commonly used for website design, photography, internet marketing and infographics and user interaction (UI) and user experience (UX) design.
Is a graphic design course necessary to get a job?
A well-designed online course provides organization, stimulation and discipline that greatly enhances a student's opportunity to learn skills and techniques quickly and correctly. Solid online courses can also provide the basis for building a portfolio of work for employers and clients.
What services do you offer to active military, veterans and dependents?
Please visit our military and veteran services page to learn how we can help.
(855) 520 - 6806