Deakin University was founded in 1974 and is now home to some 42,000 students across
four campuses in the Victoria region of Australia. Boasting well over 6,000 international
students, the university has a global mindset and will offer plenty of interaction
between Australians and international students.
Deakin offers an extensive variety of fields to visiting students, winning awards
in the fields of biotechnology, information technology, political science and global
studies, nutrition and exercise science, and social and mental health. Beyond these
disciplines, students can likewise find myriad options in the humanities and social
Melbourne is the capital of the Victoria region of Australia and an exciting suburban
mecca. City streets are lined with both modern and Victorian architecture, trendy
shops, sidewalk cafes and great nightlife. Along the Southbank district lining the
Yarra River, you will find Federation Square, considered "Melbourne's meeting place"
and a hub of culture and energy. A short distance south by light rail brings you
to St. Kilda, Melbourne's most famous beach and home to many events and festivals
year-round. Further south, you can find some of the best surfing beaches in Australia.
Truly there is something for everyone in Melbourne!
Courses available for most majors!
Student Support Team
Fall Trimester 2: Early July to Late October
Spring Trimester 1: Late February to Late June
Academic Year students cannot be accommodated at this time.
Please see the 2018-19 Academic Calendar for specific dates
- Exchange students can enroll in any class, provided they meet the prerequisites.
Certain fields may be reserved for continuing Deakin students and unavailable for
visiting students. Selection preference will be given to students seeking courses
in their academic majors.
- Generally study abroad students can expect Level 1 classes to be introductions to
the field, and as such, lower-division. Most upper-division, study abroad students
could hope to enroll in Level 2 or 3 classes, having some prior knowledge of the subject
- Teaching will usually resemble a composite of both lecture and discussion sections.
Emphasis will be placed on course readings and outside research, therefore it is imperative
that students bring with them a solid foundation of academic writing and research
methods. Roughly 70% of final grades are generally based upon a comprehensive exam. Additional
course work might also include research papers or projects. For this, keeping up with
assigned and supplemental reading becomes critically important.
- All work transfers back to San Marcos and can be used to fulfill all graduation requirements.
- Deakin University Grading Scale
Langauage of Instruction
- Class Level: Upper-division status (completion of 60 units)
- GPA of 2.75 or above and good academic standing to departure
- Prerequisites: Level 2 & 3 classes generally require significant experience in the
field. Check the course description for course prerequisites. If, based upon transcript
review, you do not have the necessary prerequisites, you will be asked to consider
an alternative course.
- Special Note to Business Majors: In order to receive credit for upper-division courses
abroad, you must have already completed your Pre-Core course work at CSUSM
12-16 semester units. Typically this equates to 4 courses/semester. Deakin courses
are worth 1 credit each, the equivalent of 4 CSU units.
On-campus accommodation is available at the Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and Melbourne
Burwood campus (Deakin's main campus). All rooms are furnished, single rooms with
phone and computer access. Bathrooms, kitchens, laundry and recreational areas are
shared with other residents. Each residence has a large common area for special events
so you can easily get to know others in your hall. A brand-new 400 room residence
facility was completed in 2013 at the Burwood Campus and proves to be state of the
Off-campus accommodation is available in furnished apartments near campus, but will require your arrival in
Australia a minimum of two weeks in advance of your orientation program. Please be
sure to read their suggestions on making good housing decisions. I would suggest
using their HouseMe service, if at all possible, as it protects you while searching
for the right off-campus accommodation for you. Remember to consider the time and
expense of commuting to campus each day!
An Australian homestay can also be arranged should you wish to get an insider view of the culture by living
with an Australian family. This can be a great way to truly get to know your host
- Students pay their normal State University Fee to CSU San Marcos, currently $3,851/semester.
No tuition or fees due at Deakin University except for additional course fees for
- On-campus residence: On average, $1,120/month (Burwood Student Village) to $1,228/month
(Burwood Shared Apartments), no meal plan. Off-campus and homestays vary based on
location and type.
- Health Insurance: Australian Compulsory Overseas Health Cover is $255 a semester.
Supplemental travel medical insurance (accidental death, medical evacuation coverage)
is required for our office and comes at a rate of $69.
- Cost of meals and personal expenses will vary, but average $500 per month.
- Australian Visa: $434 (allows up to 20 work hours/week)
- Sample 2018-19 Budget
- Students on approved study abroad programs are entitled to apply Title IV federal
financial aid to their program costs.
For Fall Semester Study: March 15
For Spring Semester Study: October 1
How to Apply
- Meet with the CSUSM Study Abroad Advisor in Craven Hall 3200 to determine if you are
eligible for this program.
- Visit the Deakin University website at http://www.deakin.edu/au to learn about the university. For life in and around Melbourne, visit a good tourism
site such as www.visitmelbourne.com or www.thatsmelbourne.com.au.
- Obtain course descriptions from the Deakin University Course Catalogue. Be sure to read through important course prerequisite information.
- Consult with a faculty advisor in you major/minor department to determine if Deakin
courses will count toward your major/minor. If so, complete a Study Abroad Credit Approval Form. At this time, we are unable to send students abroad to take GE specific course
- Order an official transcript from CSUSM and any other college from which you have taken a semester or more in
classes (even if you have already transferred credit to CSUSM). Please pick up official,
paper transcripts in person and deliver them to Craven 3200. Keep in mind that transcripts are now taking 7-10 business days to process. Plan
- Read about student accomodations. You will note your preference in your online application. All housing is first
come, first served.
- Request the Online Deakin University Application and print a copy to submit with all supplemental documents to the Study Abroad Advisor
in Craven 3200.
- Submit additional application details to Global Education here: CSUSM General Study Abroad Application
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
- Attend the pre-departure orientation and consult with the Study Abroad Advisor as
necessary regarding the Student Visa process after acceptance.
Take a look at Melbourne HDR Timelapse video courtesy of exchange student Filip Laureys
Catch a glimpse of Deakin University...courtesy of YouTube