ASI provides leadership funding for student organizations’ events and individual student
attendance at professional conferences. The ASI Executive Vice President and professional
staff members determine the allocation of these funds.
ASI has allocated approximately $30,000 to ALF this year. Approved funding is based
on eligibility per the ALF Guidelines and Instructions. Awarded funds are on a first-come,
first-served basis. Applications are due PRIOR to conference attendance. The funding is available for conferences held between July 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019.
We will not fund any conferences after May 31, 2019.
As of May 6, 2019 there was approximately $805.69 remaining; these funds have been
reallocated to Student Emergency Fund since there no more application dates remaining.
ASI allocated $8,444.31 to on-campus student organization events and $23,750.00 for
students to attend off campus conferences.
Funding paid as follows
| One day in-state conference within 400 miles from campus: $100.00 award
|Two days or more conference within 400 miles from campus: $250.00 award
|One day conference outside of 400 miles from campus: $200.00 award
|Two days or more conference outside of 400 miles from campus: $425.00 award
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled CSUSM student
- Conference must follow all guidelines outlined in application
- No more than four students attending the same conference may obtain ALF funds.
- International conferences will not be funded.
- Student may attend a conference only once per semester.
- May apply for up two within academic year (i.e. one in fall and one in spring). Summer
and winter intersession shall be considered fall semester.
- Student will receive funds upon submit of proof of attendance and written statement.
- You can only receive funding for the same conference one time within two consecutive
- Club sports teams and other student recreation sports may only apply if the individual
or team is participating in a national title championship.
- Incomplete applications will be denied, at the discretion of the ASI Executive Vice
On- Campus Event Guidelines:
- Student Organization must be officially recognized by CSUSM through Student Life &
- Student event coordinator MUST work with their SLL Coordinator to plan the event.
- Events must be held on-campus.
- If the event is not open to the entire campus community, the maximum ALF amount is
- If the event is open to the campus community, the maximum ALF amount is $500.
- Funding is available for consumable items and facility costs, which support the event
such as food for attendees, paper products, and advertising specific for the event.
- Programs must not make a profit. Event must be free to attend.
- ASI Leadership Funding (ALF) up to $500 per student organization per semester.
- Student organizations may co-sponsor an event with another student organization.
ALF contribution for co-sponsored events up to $1,000.
- Funding is not available for individual student organization members.
- Funding is not available for door prizes, raffles, or opportunity drawings. It also is not available for honorariums, speaker fees, donations, gifts, or give-away items.
- Only original forms and signatures are accepted.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Before you apply, check out this application check list
For On-Campus Events
- Name and E-mail for you, your president, and advisor.
- Event Details (title, location, dates, time, budget, co-sponsor)
- Program Description (1-2 page statement detailing event)
- Your personal information
- Conference Details (name, dates, location)
- Proof of Conference (official flyer: title, location dates)
- Personal Statement (at least 1 page of why attending conference)
If you are having trouble submitting your application online you can print the forms
below and turn them in to USU 3700.
Applications are only reviewed on the due dates listed below. Applications must be
submitted online no later than 12:00 noon on any date prior to the conference date:
- Friday, July 6, 2018 at Noon
- Friday, August 3, 2018 at Noon
- Friday, September 7, 2018 at Noon
- Friday, October 5, 2018 at Noon
- Friday, November 2, 2018 at Noon
- Friday, December 7, 2018 at Noon
- Friday, February 1, 2019 at Noon
- Friday, March 1, 2019 at Noon
- Friday, April 5, 2019 at Noon
- Friday, May 3, 2019 at Noon
Having Issues with the Online Application?
Print out an application, and submit to USU 3700 front office.
Provisions of California Assembly Bill No. 1887
Effective September 27, 2016, California Assembly Bill No. 1887 prohibits ASI from
approving a request for ASI-funded or ASI-sponsored travel to any state that, after
June 26, 2015, has enacted a law that:
- Voids or repeals or has the effect of voiding or repealing, existing state or local
protections against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity,
or gender expression; or
- Has enacted a law that authorizes or reflects discrimination against same-sex couples
or their families, or on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, as specified, subject to certain exceptions.
This prohibition currently extends to the following states: Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
and Texas. This list may be subject to change.