Hong Kong Baptist University - Business Majors
Hong Kong Baptist University was founded in 1956 and is one of the best universities in the region. With about 6,000 students, HKBU offers excellent facilities and high quality instruction.
The School of Business has five departments: accountancy and law, finance and decision sciences, economics, management, and marketing.
Students in the Global Business Management Option are eligible to apply for exchange study at HKBU and will take classes approved by the Program Director. Other Business students may apply with the permission of their department chair or academic advisor.
All classes are taught in English and interactive in nature.
Hong Kong has long enjoyed the reputation as the economic and commercial center of Asia. Today, Hong Kong is part of China and serves as a link to the industrial centers of Southern China. There is no better place to study Asia and China than Hong Kong.
Hong Kong is also a tourist destination offering unlimited choices in restaurants, shopping, and entertainment. English is widely spoken and understood, which makes it easy to navigate for those not fluent in Chinese.
Travel to the rest of China from Hong Kong is easy and inexpensive. Trains go regularly to Guangzhou and southern China, and there are many air connections to Shanghai and Beijing.
- With prior approval, course work will fulfill business major requirements.
- Wide variety of classes offered in English.
- On-campus residence for international students.
- Basic Chinese or Cantonese language courses available as part of the exchange.
- Fun intercultural events sponsored by the International Office, including the Global Cafe and city tours!
- Wide array of student interest clubs and sports to join!
Fall Semester: Late August to Late December
Spring Semester: Early January to Late May
Academic Year: Late August to Late May
Please see the 2019-20 Academic Calendar for specific dates
- Exchange students have a wide array of class offerings available in English. Be sure you meet all course prerequisites necessary to enroll.
- The learning environment will be fast-paced and competitive. HKBU students have a three-year degree plan and study in their major from their first day at the university. Select the course level appropriate to your experience in the field. Level one classes equate to sophomore standing, level two to junior standing, and level three to senior standing. Plan accordingly.
- Teaching will be mostly lecture format, though some classes will offer less formal discussion sections. Emphasis will be placed on course readings and outside research, therefore it is imperative that students bring with them a solid foundation of academic writing and research methods.
- Final grades are generally based upon a comprehensive exam. Keeping up with assigned reading becomes critically important.
- All work transfers back to San Marcos and can be used to fulfill all graduation requirements.
Language of Instruction
English, but be certain, as Chinese, Cantonese and Putonghua courses are also available.
- Class Level: Upper-division status (completion of 60 units)
- GPA of 2.75 or above and good academic standing to departure
- Completion of any prerequisites required for your study abroad course work
- Special Note to Business Majors: In order to receive credit for upper-division courses abroad, you must have already completed your Pre-Core course work at CSUSM.
15 semester units. Typically this equates to 5 classes/semester.
On-campus housing is first come, first served, but usually available for exchange students. All rooms/bathrooms are shared. Students are strongly encouraged to live on campus. If you choose to live off campus, you will be responsible for making your own accommodation arrangements.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students:
Applications for the NTT International House will be forwarded to you once available. Please read carefully the details of the accommodation package.
- Students pay their normal State University Fee to CSU San Marcos, currently $3,858/semester. No tuition or fees due at Hong Kong Baptist University.
- On-campus residence: $1,098*/semester depending on term. (Subject to change without notice. Please see Accommodation & Living Expense for updates.)
- Health Insurance: $265/semester.
- Cost of meals and personal expenses will vary, but average $637* per month.
- Chinese Visa Fee: $50
- Sample Fall 2020-Spring 2021 Budget
*Prices found on HBKU's website have been converted from HKD (Hong Kong Dollar) to USD (US Dollar) currency for reference. To find live currency rates
For Fall Semester Study: March 15
For Spring Semester Study: October 1
How to Apply
- Visit the Hong Kong Baptist University website to learn about the university. For life in and around Hong Kong, visit a good tourism site such as Discover Hong Kong
- Meet with the CSUSM Study Abroad Advisor in ELB 588 to determine if you are eligible for this program.
- Review the list of subjects available to exchange students.
- Consult with a faculty advisor in your major/minor department to determine if HKBU courses will count toward your major/minor. If so, complete a Study Abroad Credit Approval Form. Please note: For GE classes, simply list those on your credit approval form. This form MUST be submitted to Global Education before departure.
- Order an official transcript from CSUSM and any other college from which you have taken a semester or more in classes (even if you have already transferred credit to CSUSM). Please pick your transcripts up in person and deliver them to ELB 588. Keep in mind that transcripts are now taking 7-10 business days to process. Plan accordingly.
- Visit the HKBU Student Exchange site to review information on courses, application procedures, accommodation, and the Chinese visa process.
- The Chinese visa must be filled out with your other paperwork. Please see the sample to see how to fill it out. Be sure to include proof of financial eligibility in the form of a bank letter/statement.
- Submit additional application details to Global Education: CSUSM General Study Abroad Application
- Submit your flight details to Global Education: Flight Information Form
- Attend the pre-departure orientation and consult with the Study Abroad Advisor as necessary.