Hong Kong Baptist University was founded in 1956 and is one of the best universities
in the region. With about 6,000 students, HKBU offers excellent facilities and high
The School of Business has five departments: accountancy and law, finance and decision
sciences, economics, management, and marketing.
Students in the Global Business Management Option are eligible to apply for exchange
study at HKBU and will take classes approved by the Program Director. Other Business
students may apply with the permission of their department chair or academic advisor.
All classes are taught in English and interactive in nature.
Hong Kong has long enjoyed the reputation as the economic and commercial center of
Asia. Today, Hong Kong is part of China and serves as a link to the industrial centers
of Southern China. There is no better place to study Asia and China than Hong Kong.
Hong Kong is also a tourist destination offering unlimited choices in restaurants,
shopping, and entertainment. English is widely spoken and understood, which makes
it easy to navigate for those not fluent in Chinese.
Travel to the rest of China from Hong Kong is easy and inexpensive. Trains go regularly
to Guangzhou and southern China, and there are many air connections to Shanghai and
With prior approval, course work will fulfill business major requirements.
Wide variety of classes offered in English.
On-campus residence for international students.
Basic Chinese language courses available as part of the exchange.
Fun intercultural events sponsored by the International Office, including the Global Cafe and city tours!
Wide array of student interest clubs and sports to join!
Fall Semester: Late August to Late December
Spring Semester: Early January to Late May
Academic Year: Late August to Late May
Please see the 2019-20 Academic Calendar for specific dates
- Exchange students have a wide array of class offerings available in English. Be sure
you meet all course prerequisites necessary to enroll.
- The learning environment will be fast-paced and competitive. HKBU students have a
three-year degree plan and study in their major from their first day at the university.
Select the course level appropriate to your experience in the field. Level one classes
equate to sophomore standing, level two to junior standing, and level three to senior
standing. Plan accordingly.
- Teaching will be mostly lecture format, though some classes will offer less formal
discussion sections. Emphasis will be placed on course readings and outside research,
therefore it is imperative that students bring with them a solid foundation of academic
writing and research methods.
- Final grades are generally based upon a comprehensive exam. Keeping up with assigned
reading becomes critically important.
- All work transfers back to San Marcos and can be used to fulfill all graduation requirements.
Language of Instruction
English, but be certain, as Chinese, Cantonese and Putonghua courses are also available.
- Class Level: Upper-division status (completion of 60 units)
- GPA of 2.75 or above and good academic standing to departure
- Completion of any prerequisites required for your study abroad course work
- Special Note to Business Majors: In order to receive credit for upper-division courses abroad, you must have already
completed your Pre-Core course work at CSUSM.
15 semester units. Typically this equates to 5 classes/semester.
On-campus housing is first come, first served, but usually available for exchange
students. All rooms/bathrooms are shared. Students are strongly encouraged to live
on campus. If you choose to live off campus, you will be responsible for making your
own accommodation arrangements.
Accommodation for Undergraduate Students:
Application for Student Residence Halls Be sure to carefully read the terms and conditions for residence life:
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students:
Applications for the NTT International House will be forwarded to you once available.
Please read carefully the details of the accommodation package: www.hkbu.edu.hk/ntt/SemesterEng1.html
- Students pay their normal State University Fee to CSU San Marcos, currently $3,858/semester.
No tuition or fees due at Hong Kong Baptist University.
- Health Insurance: $265/semester
- Cost of meals and personal expenses will vary, but average $637* per month.
*Prices found on HBKU's website have been converted from HKD (Hong Kong Dollar) to
USD (US Dollar) currency for reference. To find live currency rates visit http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/
For Fall Semester Study: April 1
For Spring Semester Study: October 1
How to Apply
- Visit the Hong Kong Baptist University website www.hkbu.edu.hk to learn about the university. For life in and around Hong Kong, visit a good tourism
site such as Discover Hong Kong
- Meet with the CSUSM Study Abroad Advisor in Craven Hall 3200 to determine if you are
eligible for this program.
- Review the list of subjects available to exchange students.
- Consult with a faculty advisor in your major/minor department to determine if HKBU
courses will count toward your major/minor. If so, complete a Study Abroad Credit Approval Form. Please note: For GE classes, simply list those on your credit approval form.
This form MUST be submitted to Global Education before departure.
- Order an official transcript from CSUSM and any other college from which you have taken a semester or more in
classes (even if you have already transferred credit to CSUSM). Please pick your transcripts up in person and deliver them to Craven 3200. Keep in mind that transcripts are now taking 7-10 business days to process. Plan
- Visit the HKBU Student Exchange site to review information on courses, application procedures, accommodation, and the Chinese visa process.
- The Chinese visa must be filled out with your other paperwork. Please see the sample to see how to fill it out. Be sure to include proof of financial eligibility in the
form of a bank letter/statement.
- Submit additional application details to Global Education here: CSUSM General Study Abroad Application
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
- Attend the pre-departure orientation and consult with the Study Abroad Advisor as
Learn More About HKBU courtesy of YouTube: