department menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I register?

     There are five (5) easy ways to register for classes:
    1. Online Secure Registration - Select your course from the following menus Non-Credit Programs and Courses OR Credit Programs and Courses OR Online Programs
    2. By Phone - (760) 750-4020 or (800) 500-9377
    3. By Mail - Cal State San Marcos, Extended Learning, San Marcos, CA 92096
    4. In Person - 333 Twin Oaks Valley Road
      Viasat Engineering Pavillion
      Room VEP 5-107
    5. By Purchase Order - Fax a copy of the P.O. to 760-750-3138 or mail to the address above.

    Note: Students registering in Open University and Degree Programs should follow those specific registration procedures detailed on the Web site.

    *If you have a hold on your account, we will not be able to register you until the hold is resolved. To clear your hold please contacts the Cashier's Office at 760.750.4491.

  • When and how can I pay for a class?

    The Cal Vet Waiver does not apply to the Extended Learning degree programs including ABSN, RN-BSN, RN-MSN, MBt, and B.S. in Kinesiology.
  • Where are classes held?

    Most classes are held on the CSUSM or the CSUSM Temecula campuses unless noted otherwise in the course description. Confirmation notice will contain building and room assignments. Driving directions and maps are available online. If your class is being held at an off-campus location, please call Extended Learning at (760) 750-4020 for directions.
  • Where do I park?

    Parking permits are required to park at CSUSM (however, not at the CSUSM Temecula Campus - parking is free at this campus). There is no grace period. New and continuing students must purchase semester parking permits online, at the Public Safety Building, located at the corner of LaMoree and Campus View Drive, by the SPRINTER station. To inquire about current parking information and policies please visit the Parking Services Website at or call (760) 750-7500.
  • What are your cancellation, drop and refund policies?

    Credit Courses

    For credit courses, you can drop your courses anytime via the MyCSUSM student portal at You will need your student ID and password. If you do not know your student ID and password, you may contact the Student Help Desk at (760) 750-6505.

    *Please note: Extended Learning credit courses follow a different fee and refund schedule than do the regular campus courses. Most Extended Learning credit courses follow the refund schedule below:

    Classes 16 weeks or more    Refund
    Up to 11:59pm of the 14th day of the session                100%
    After the 14th day of the session       0%
    Classes 15 weeks or less Refund
    Up to 11:59pm of the 7th day of the session    100%
    After the 7th day of the session       0%


    FOR SUMMER and INTERSESSION COURSES, the refund schedule is 100% prior to the first week of class and 0% thereafter.


    In the case of extenuating circumstances, in which you feel you may be eligible for a refund outside of the normal refund schedule, you can complete and submit a University Fee Appeal Form, which will be reviewed by Student Financial Services. Please follow the submission instructions found on the form.

    Students who wish to withdraw from all classes (after the end of the add/drop period) must petition for complete semester withdrawal through Registration and Records located in Cougar Central on the third floor of Craven Hall. If you do not formally withdraw from your class you will receive a "WU" (equivalent to an F in GPA calculation). All dropped or withdrawn classes are subject to the Extended Learning Credit Course Drop/Refund policy.

  • What are my options for financial aid?

    Extended Learning does not sanction any one lender; however, there are a multitude of private lenders that will fund programs for Extended Learning (non-matriculated) students. If you are a student who is matriculated (formally accepted to the campus) in an Extended Learning degree program and need additional information about financial aid options, please contact the Financial Aid office at 760-750-4850.

    The Cal Vet Waiver does not apply to the Extended Learning degree programs including ABSN, RN-BSN, RN-MSN, MBt, and B.S. in Kinesiology.

  • How do I request a transcript?

    To request an official transcript (no fee required) for credit programs, please see: Transcript Request. For non-credit programs, you may request a non-credit transcript through Extended Learning by calling (760) 750-4020.
  • How can I learn more about your support services for disabled students?

    Support services are available to assist students with special needs in the academic setting. Students with mobility limitations, psychological or learning disabilities, and/or hearing or visual impairments are encouraged to contact Disabled Student Services as soon as possible to arrange for these services. For additional information call (760) 750-4905 or (TDD 750-4909).
  • What is your non-discrimination policy?

    The University subscribes to all Equal Opportunity, Title IX, Title VI, Title VII and Section 504 regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital, or veteran status in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy.
  • How do I request a 1098T?

    Credit classes - students requesting 1098Ts, please contact Rosemary Henk at or visit the campus website at Tax Information for more information.