Travel this summer to Nosara, Costa Rica to gain insight into the sub-disciplines
of Kinesiology through the sport of surfing. Students will learn about research and
careers in Kinesiology that are focused on the sport of surfing through daily lectures,
readings , class activities, and research projects taking place on some of the best
beaches for surfing in the world. Dr. Sean Newcomer will help bring the curriculum
to life as students are encouraged to reflect on curriculum during daily surfing guided
by experienced surf instructors. No prior experience surfing necessary.
Planned excursions include the following:
- Site visit to Nosara Recycling Center
- Guest lecture from Safari Surf and surf lessons with local guides
- Daily Surf/Course Labs
- Visit to Coastal Preserve Reforestation Project
- Guided Stand-Up Paddleboarding and river tour of the Rio Nosara
- Optional ziplining through the rainforest
- Visit to Ostional Wildlife National Refuge
- Community outreach efforts at local schools
- Volunteerism with Surfing Nosara Foundation such as beach clean-ups
May 20 - June 1, 2019
KINE 495: Internship (3 units); Kinesiology majors only
KINE 499: Independent Study (3 units) for all majors
Language of Instruction:
- Open to all majors
- GPA: 2.75 and above; good academic standing to departure
Participants will stay in shared rooms at a local lodge. Wifi access will be available,
though connection speeds are considerably slower than U.S. standards. Bathrooms are
Most meals will be available on-site.
Estimated at $3,600 + $252 Extended Learning Fees
Price includes lodging, most meals, health insurance, in-country ground transportation,
surf instructors, and several planned field trips. Does NOT include airfare or personal
expenses (estimated at $850-$1,100).
Recommended flights will be sent to you, but in the meantime, some useful airfare
Please await notification from Global Education before purchasing your airfare. Ideally,
we enjoy holding a pre-departure meeting once the application deadline closes, then
participants may plan their travels together, often at the best rates researched by
our partner organization, Sea State. Always read the fine print concerning change
fees, taxes, & luggage restrictions before booking. Whenever possible, book directly
with an airline.
- Attend an information session led by faculty leader Dr. Sean Newcomer or Sea State
- Fill out the online application materials via the link below. All application materials
must be received by Friday, February 1, 2019 along with your non-refundable $300 deposit to the Office of Global Education, Craven
3200. Online payment preferred through CashNet. Please be advised to choose E-check and enter your checking account details to
avoid the 2.75% convenience fees applicable to all non-checking account payments.
Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted.
- Final payment is due Friday, April 12, 2019 to the Office of Global Education. Final payments preferred via CashNet following the payment guidelines outlined above. Payment of tuition related expenses
($252) will be billed by Extended Learning and appear on your Student Center, following
the payment guidelines set out for Summer session.
- A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Dr. Newcomer to discuss arrival
instructions and the upcoming course. Proof of attendance will be recorded.
Pre-Departure Orientation 2019
- Wednesday, March 20th
- UNIV 257
Summer in Costa Rica 2019 Application (CLOSED)