Summer in Italy: Science-based Health & Wellness
Travel this summer to Ischia and Salerno, Italy, to gain cultural, historical, and global insight into the sub-disciplines of Kinesiology through the dimensions of science-based health and wellness: Physical, Emotional, Social, Disease Prevention, & Community. Using secondary data analysis and practical application based learning, explore how each can positively and negatively contribute and influence health from an evidence-based approach.
In just over two weeks, Dr. Devan Romero will lead this course and visits to significant cultural and historical sites to explore science-based health and wellness. Beginning in Ischia, best known for its ancient thermal baths, students will explore the healing properties of water in the human body and gain a cultural introduction to Italy’s Southern region. Students will then embark on twelve days of study in Salerno, a region well-recognized for ancient medicine and healing discoveries and practice.
- Ischia (5 days)
- Negombo thermal baths
- Hiking & Yoga with local guides
- Agritourism visits to local farmers
- Optional visit to the Castle of Aragon in Casamicciola/Forio
- Guest lecture from University of Naples
- Day trip to Capri
- Salerno (12 days)
- Mozzarella Factory visit
- Pasta Factory visit
- Tomato Farm
- Visit University of Salerno (UNISA), oldest academic instiution int he continent
- Guided excursions to Amalfi, Sorrento, Positano, Pompeii, and Mt. Vesuvius
- Community outreach opportunities with Public Health departments
- Student networking with Universita Degli Studi Di Napoli or UNISA
June 1-18, 2022
KINE 497: Field Research or Study Abroad (3 units)
Language of Instruction:
- Open to all majors
- GPA: 2.75 and above; good academic standing to departure
3 units, KINE 497: Field Research
Shared 3 star hotel in Ischia, then double or triple occupancy apartments in Salerno within an easy walk of the city center.
$2,795 + Extended Learning Fees, estimated at $597 for 3 units
All fees include welcome/farewell dinners, 5 nights shared accommodation in Ischia at a 3-star hotel inclusive of daily breakfast, 12 nights shared accommodation in double/triple occupancy apartments in Salerno, all excursions (not marked as optional) and medical insurance. Airfare, meals not listed, and personal expenditures NOT included in the program cost, estimated at $1,750-$2,000.
*Final program price is contingent upon enrollment and currency fluctuation. Global Education will finalize the final payment with registered participants before the due date to hopefully offer a reduced fee.
Some Useful Airfare Search Engines:
Please be sure to read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, etc. before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline. Do NOT book flights until Global Education has given you the authorization to do so.
- Attend a required information session led by the Program Leader running your course: Dr. Devan Romero.
- Fill out the online application materials via the link below. All application materials must be completed by Tuesday, February 15 along with your non-refundable $500 deposit. Online payment preferred through CashNet. Please be advised to choose E-check and enter your checking account details to avoid the 2.65% convenience fees applicable to all non-checking account payments. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted via the Cashier's Office in Cougar Central, but must include this deposit form to track the payment.
- Second payment of $500 is due on Tuesday, March 15, following the payment guidelines outlined above. Payment of tuition related expenses (estimated at $597) will be billed by Extended Learning and appear on your Student Center, following the payment guidelines set out for Summer Session.
- Final payment is due on Friday, April 15. Please await an email from Global Education noting final payment due as we hope to offer a small discount if currency remains favorable.
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
- Attend mandatory pre-departure orientation with your Program Leader & Global Education to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course. Some course requirements/sessions may take place prior to leaving, beginning in May.
Summer in Italy: Science-based Health & Wellness Application
Program is at capacity and on waitlist as of 1/18/22. You may apply, but openings will be based upon space pending withdrawals. If you are applying by waitlist, please pay no deposits at this time.
|Tuesday, March 1||12:00-1:00 PM||Zoom:|
|Tuesday, April 5||12:00-1:00 PM||Zoom:|
|Tuesday, May 3||12:00-1:30 PM||Mark 211|