Summer in Spain: Positive Psychology
Explore the beautiful cities of Madrid, Toledo, & Salamanca while learning from the lens of Positive Psychology. Guided by Professor Emily Merryweather, students will have first-hand experiences with youth culture as well as opportunities to examine the history and culture of the historic capitol and other cities in the "castle region" of Spain.
This course will emphasize the study of Positive Psychology around four distinct areas as they relate to well-being: resilience, cultural identity, spirituality, and community engagement. In order to emphasize the four pillars of the course, students will participate in activities and tours that connect them to the people of Spain through their unique culture with food tastings, walking tours, and cultural site visits.
June 12-23, 2023
Psychology (PSYC) 344: Positive Psychology; Satisfies Upper-Division elective in Psychology and Applied Psychology requirement
- For studets who have already taken PSYC 344, 3 units of elective credit is available through PSYC 498C
3 units, PSYC 344 or PSYC 498C
- Welcome Flamenco show dinner
- Guest lectures on Behavioral Science, Spanish Culture & Traditions
- Visit Mindfulness Madrid to learn mindfulness practice to reduce stress and improve focus
- Take guided walks through Madrid's historic city centers as well as some well known districts such as trendy Malasaña
- Spanish cooking class to make paella
- Visit to Chocolatería San Ginés for chocolate and churro tasting
- Visit to the Royal Palace, seat of the Spanish monarchy
- Study Spanish culture, traditions, celebrations & customs through various tours/lessons
- Walking tour of Toledo, "city of three cultures" and its harmonious history of Arab, Christian & Jewish communities living side-by-side
- Tour of Cathedral of Toledo, one of the most grand and prominent Gothic cathedrals in Europe
- Guided walking tour of historic Salamanca, including the University, the House of Shells, the Plaza Mayor, and more
- Visit at Salamanca Central Market, where you can buy a wide variety of local foods
Language of Instruction:
- Class level: Open
- GPA: 2.75 and above; good academic standing prior to departure
- Preference is given to students of Psychology, though other related fields of study may be permitted, depending upon space and faculty consent
- Proof of current COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initial vaccination(s) plus at least one booster if eligible) is required to participate in any of CSUSM’s international travel programs. Due to the increased risk of contracting COVID while travelling, as well as the increased likelihood of having serious complications from COVID if you are not vaccinated, exemptions (religious or medical) are not currently accepted for our travel abroad programs; COVID vaccination is a required pre-requisite.
Shared twin rooms at the 3-star Leonardo Hotel Madrid City Center in Madrid; shared twin rooms with private bathrooms at the 3-star Sercotel Las Torres Salamanca
$3,150* + Extended Learning Fees, estimated at $597 for 3 units
All fees include 7 + 1 nights shared accommodation in twin rooms in Madrid; 2 nights shared accommodation in twin rooms in Salamanca; daily breakfast; welcome dinner & Flamenco show; farewell dinner in Salamanca; public transportation pass for Madrid; private coach transport from Madrid to Toledo & Salamanca; all excursions and medical insurance. Airfare and personal expenditures NOT included in the program cost, estimated at $1,400-$1,700.
*Final program price is contingent upon enrollment and currency fluctuation. Global Education will finalize the final payment with registered participants before the due date to hopefully offer a reduced fee.
Faculty Led Cancellation Policy
Some Useful Airfare Search Engines:
Please be sure to read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, etc. before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline. Do NOT book flights until Global Education has given you the authorization to do so.
An adult passport book with at least 6 months validity until expiration is necessary for overseas travel. First-time passport book applicants can expect processing times up to 4 months. Plan to submit your passport applications early if you enroll in this program as withdrawals due to passport delays will not be refunded. Non-US travelers are responsible for researching entry requirements and possible visas through their country's consular pages.
- Attend a required information session led by Professor Emily Merryweather (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Fill out the online application materials via the link below. All application materials must be completed by Monday, February 14 along with your non-refundable $500 deposit. Online payment preferred through TransAct. Please be advised to choose E-check and enter your checking account details to avoid the 2.65% convenience fees applicable to all non-checking account payments. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted via the Cashier's Office in Cougar Central, but must include this deposit form to track the payment.
- Second payment of $500 is due on Monday, March 14, following the payment guidelines outlined above. Payment of tuition related expenses (estimated at $597) will be billed by Extended Learning and appear on your Student Center, following the payment guidelines set out for Summer Session.
- Final payment of program fees will be due by Friday, April 15. Please await an email from Global Education noting final payment due as we hope to offer a small discount if currency remains favorable.
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
- Attend mandatory pre-departure orientation with your Program Leader & Global Education to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course(s). Some course requirements/sessions may take place prior to leaving, beginning in late April/early May.
Summer in Spain Positive Psychology Application
Summer in Spain: Positive Psychology Application
|Thursday, February 23||12:00-1:00 PM||Zoom: https://csusm.zoom.us/j/2653678375|
|Thursday, March 2||12:00-1:00 PM||Zoom: https://csusm.zoom.us/j/4117628784|