Catalin Ratiu, Ph.D.
Catalin (Cata) Ratiu is Associate Professor of Strategic Management and Chair of the Management Department at California State University San Marcos. His research examines corporate strategies in the social, natural, and global environments. He is an award-winning scholar having published over twenty papers in scholarly outlets, including the Academy of Management Review, Critical Perspectives on International Business, International Journal of Business Strategy, Journal of Global Responsibility, Management International, and World Journal of Science, Technology and Sustainable Development. He coauthored a book investigating the role of multinational corporations in emerging economies (Routledge) and has over fifteen years of experience in business and legal consulting for corporate and nonprofit organizations in Europe and North America. In addition to CSUSM, he has also taught at the universities Concordia (Canada), DHBW (Germany), EDHEC (France), and McGill (Canada).
- Expertise: Strategy, Sustainability, International management (MBA and undergraduate)
- Previously taught at CSUSM: BUS 302, BUS 444, BUS 495, BA 675, MGMT 474, MGMT/GBM 498, MGMT 606, GBM 426, GBM 495, GBM 685, BA 650, BA 671.
- PhD, Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
- MBA, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, USA
- Graduate certificate, Leadership Studies, Western Kentucky University
- LLB, Vasile Goldiș Western University, Arad, Romania
- Certificate, Tec de Monterrey, Querétaro, México
- Strategic management
- Corporate sustainability and social responsibility
- Global business (emerging markets, local-global dynamics, expatriate adjustment)
- Outstanding Author Contribution, Emerald Literati Award for “Corporate diplomacy and institutional upheaval in host countries: The Arab Spring experience of two Canadian multinationals in Egypt (2018, with A. Taleb & R. Molz)
- Highly commended paper, Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence for “The multiple identities of sustainability” (2016, with B. Anderson)
- Outstanding Paper of 2014, Emerald Literati Award for “The identity crisis of sustainable development” (with B. Anderson)
- CSU Chancellor’s Campus as a Living Lab grant for “Developing and Reporting Sustainable University Business Practices” (2015, teaching innovation, with J. Goodlaw-Morris)
- Overall Best Paper Award, World Association of Sustainable Development (2014 annual meetings, Montréal, Canada, with S. Sur)
Read more about research.