department menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where are classes held?

     Most classes are held on the CSUSM or the CSUSM Temecula campuses unless noted otherwise in the course description. Confirmation notice will contain building and room assignments. Driving directions and maps are available online. If your class is being held at an off-campus location, please call Extended Learning at (760) 750-4020 for directions.
  • Where do I park?

    Parking permits are required to park at CSUSM (however, not at the CSUSM Temecula Campus - parking is free at this campus). There is no grace period. New and continuing students must purchase semester parking permits online, at the Public Safety Building, located at the corner of LaMoree and Campus View Drive, by the SPRINTER station. To inquire about current parking information and policies please visit the Parking Services Web site at or call (760) 750-7500.

    For non-credit classes, parking fees are included for most Extended Learning programs and more detailed information pertaining to your specific course will be e-mailed to you the week before the class start date. If your class does not include a parking permit it will be noted in the online course description or class schedule. If you do not see information regarding parking in the course description please contact our office at least 3 days prior to the course start date. If you are registering for a class within 24 hours of the class start date, we apologize that we are unable to guarantee paid parking. Please call the Extended Learning Office for confirmation Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm (760) 750-4020.

    For Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) Members, parking fees are covered for courses on the CSUSM campus, and you will receive a parking pass in the mail the week before class begins. For courses at the CSUSM Temecula Campus and other off campus locations, parking is free. Maps and directions for all locations are available on the Osher Web site.

  • What kinds of credit do you offer and what do the different course numberings indicate?

    Extended Learning provides a number of credit options, and both non-credit and credit programs. The course numbers indicate the type of credit and type of course. A detailed explanation of our course numbering procedures and credit definitions can be found online.
  • What are your cancellation, drop and refund policies?

    Non-Credit Courses

    For all non-credit classes, cancellation notifications must be made in writing. Written notice may be made by e-mail to or fax to 760-750-3138, or mailed with postmark date three days before the first day of class to receive a full refund (less a $20 administrative fee). Unfortunately, no refunds will be issued after the first class meeting. No refunds will be granted for online classes once the online material has been accessed by the student. Substitutions may be made with written notice at any time before the course begins. "NO SHOWS" ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT IN FULL.

    Credit Courses

    For credit courses, you can drop your courses anytime via the MyCSUSM student portal at You will need your student ID and password. If you do not know your student ID and password, you may contact the Student Help Desk at (760) 750-6505.

    *Please note: Extended Learning credit courses follow a different fee and refund schedule than do the regular campus courses. Most Extended Learning credit courses follow the refund schedule below:

    Classes 16 weeks or more Refund
    Up to 11:59pm of the 14th day of the session                100%
    After the 14th day of the session       0%
    Classes 15 weeks or less Refund
    Up to 11:59pm of the 7th day of the session    100%
    After the 7th day of the session       0%


    FOR SUMMER and INTERSESSION COURSES, the refund schedule is 100% prior to the first week of class and 0% thereafter.


    In the case of extenuating circumstances, in which you feel you may be eligible for a refund outside of the normal refund schedule, you can complete and submit a University Fee Appeal Form, which will be reviewed by Student Financial Services. Please follow the submission instructions found on the form.

    Students who wish to withdraw from all classes (after the end of the add/drop period) must petition for complete semester withdrawal through Registration and Records located in Cougar Central on the third floor of Craven Hall. If you do not formally withdraw from your class you will receive a "WU" (equivalent to an F in GPA calculation). All dropped or withdrawn classes are subject to the Extended Learning Credit Course Drop/Refund policy.

  • What are my options for financial aid?

    Extended Learning does not sanction any one lender; however, there are a multitude of private lenders that will fund programs for Extended Learning (non-matriculated) students. If you are a student who is matriculated (formally accepted to the campus) in an Extended Learning degree program and need additional information about financial aid options, please contact the Financial Aid office at 760-750-4850.

    The Cal Vet Waiver does not apply to the Extended Learning degree programs including ABSN, RN-BSN, RN-MSN, MBt, and B.S. in Kinesiology.

  • How do I request a transcript?

    To request an official transcript (no fee required) for credit programs, please see: Transcript Request. For non-credit programs, you may request a non-credit transcript through Extended Learning by calling (760) 750-4020.
  • Are you a State-approved provider of the Federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA)?

    Yes. For additional information about WIA, visit the San Diego Workforce Partnership.
  • Do you offer customized training?

    Absolutely! Customized training to meet a company's specific educational and employee training and educational needs is always available. We can even bring the courses or programs onsite if you prefer. Choose from any of our regular programs or let us work with you to design a customized program aligned with your business goals.
  • How can I learn more about your support services for disabled students?

    Support services are available to assist students with special needs in the academic setting. Students with mobility limitations, psychological or learning disabilities, and/or hearing or visual impairments are encouraged to contact Disabled Student Services as soon as possible to arrange for these services. For additional information call (760) 750-4905 or (TDD 750-4909).
  • What is your non-discrimination policy?

    The University subscribes to all Equal Opportunity, Title IX, Title VI, Title VII and Section 504 regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, marital, or veteran status in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy.
  • How do I request a 1098T?

    Credit classes - students requesting 1098Ts, please contact Rosemary Henk at 

    Noncredit classes- 1098Ts are not issued but you can contact for a duplicate payment invoice if needed.