Per California state education code, and CSUSM policy, students are eligible to elect
the graduation requirements (General Education, University, Major/Minor) in effect:
- at the time the student began his/her program at a CSU campus or California Community
- when the student entered the CSU campus from which s/he intends to graduate
- at the time the student graduates from Cal State San Marcos
*Eligibilty based on the timeframes above applies to all 3 types of graduation requirements;
the catalog terms elected for each do not have to be the same.
In addition, students are eligible to elect the graduation requirements for the major or minor in effect:
- at the time the student declares or changes his/her Major/Concentration/Option/Track/Minor
- at the time changes in Major or Minor requirements affect the student
As long as a student maintains continuous attendance at CSU San Marcos, or a combination of CSU campuses and California Community Colleges,
his/her catalog rights are protected, and thus his/her catalog term(s) for the graduation
requirements listed above, are protected.
Note: at CSUSM, students are automatically assigned the graduation requirements in
effect upon admission to the university. A student must request to elect different
catalog rights (according to the eligibility described above) in order to be subject
to different graduation requirements.