Note: This program is only available for Spring semesters
The University of Valladolid is historically one of the oldest universities in Spain,
serving students for over 700 years. Currently boasting a student population of over
26,000 across its regional campuses throughout Castilla y León, the Universtiy of
Valladolid remains a model of excellence in teaching and research, as well as a leader
in the promotion of the language, heritage and environment of the Region of Castilla
This unique program will allow students an immersion experience at the Center for
Languages situated on the Miguel Delibes University Campus. Courses will take place
with other international students and be geared toward Spanish for Foreigners.
The city of Valladolid is an important one to Spain's history, once the old capital
and seat of the monarchy. Today, it is a safe, clean, comfortable environment to
learn and practice some of the purest Spanish in Spain. Located only a short hour
from Madrid by train, Valladolid offers a more tranquil feel to the capital city while
offering many of the same venues for culture, tourism, and nightlife.
Students who have completed Spanish 202 can earn most of their minor abroad on this
unique program. This program offers five excursions in the city and surrounding areas
to better understand the artistic and cultural impact of the region.
Spring Semester: January 8 to May 15, 2020
Classes are fixed and students must enroll in all offerings listed below. Classes
include the following:
- Spanish Grammar (Grade of B or better transfers back as Spanish 301A & 302; grade below B counts
- Culture (Combines with Spanish History to complete Spanish 350A)
- Spoken Expression (Transfers as Spanish 303 or Spanish 317)
- Literature (Transfers as Spanish 315)
- Spanish History (Combines with Culture to complete Spanish 350A)
- Spanish History of Art (Combines with Geography to complete Spanish 366)
- Geography (Combines with Spanish History of Art to complete Spanish 366)
University of Valladolid Grading Scale - Language & Culture
Language of Instruction
- Class Level: Sophomores-Seniors
- GPA of 2.75 or above and good academic standing to departure
- Prerequisites: All students must show completion of four prior semesters of Spanish
(through Spanish 202) with grades of C or better
- Students are encouraged to declare a minor in Spanish prior to enrollment. Successful
students will complete all course work for the minor.
18 semester units. Each course will count for its equivalent, 3 unit CSU course.
Students will earn transfer credits directly from the University of Valladolid which
will appear in the transfer credit section of the Student Center.
A couple housing options are available for the semester program, however due to the
intensive nature of Spanish practice, living in a Spanish homestay environment is
the preferred placement for a more full-immersion experience.
- Homestays offer students a family atmosphere in which to practice their Spanish. All homestays
offer three meals a day and laundry service once a week. Students can choose indvidual
rooms ($245/week) or share with another student ($218/week).
- Furnished, On-campus Apartments or nearby residence halls offer more independent students the option of living within
an easy walk of the Miguel Delibes campus. All apartments are double occupancy and
offer individual rooms. A full board meal plan runs $292/week while accommodation
alone is $150/week.
- Students pay tuition fees directly to the University of Valladolid. Tuition costs
for Spring 2017 are 2090 Euros, or $2,445.
- Housing: On average, $600 (individual room in shared apartment) to $980 (homestay
with all meals & laundry) per month.
- Health Insurance: $13.50/per week
- Cost of meals and personal expenses will vary, but average $500/month. (This cost
should be far less for homestays and apartments on meal plans).
- Spanish Visa: As of today, $160. Subject to change.
- Sample Spring 2021 Budget
- Financial Aid Students: This program earns transfer credit, therefore you will not show registration at CSUSM.
In terms of financial aid, only loans, scholarships and the Cal and Pell grants can
be applied. No State University grants will transfer.
For currency updates check out xe.com
Spring Semester Study: October 1
How to Apply
- Visit the University of Valladolid Language Centre's website to learn about the university. For life in and round Valladolid, visit a good tourism
site such as Spain's official tourism website.
- Meet with the CSUSM Study Abroad Advisor in ELB 588 to determine if you are eligible for this program.
- Complete the Study Abroad Credit Approval Form with Professor Francisco Martin to assure course transference.
- This form MUST be submitted to Global Education and Financial Aid before departure.
- Order an official transcript from CSUSM and any other college from which you have taken a semester or more in
classes (even if you have already transferred credit to CSUSM). Please pick your transcripts up in person and deliver them to ELB 588.
- Keep in mind that transcripts are now taking 7-10 business days to process. Plan
- Apply online at studyspanishinvalladolid.com and make your tuition payment to the University of Valladolid in advance of departure.
- Submit additional application details to Global Education here: CSUSM General Study Abroad Application
- Submit your flight details to Global Education here: Flight Information Form
- Attend the pre-departure orientation and consult with the Study Abroad Advisor as
necessary regarding the Student Visa process after acceptance.
Catch a glimpse of University of Valladolid