Dimensions of Wellness
The CSUSM Employee Wellness program is comprised of 8 dimensions which are meant to help you balance all aspects of your life, from family and friends to work play. Finding the right dimenensions can help you find a deeper, more meaningful balance within yourself.
Emotional wellness is becoming more aware of the feelings and emotions we feel every day, and learning how to cope with the challenges life brings. Having the tools to handle the ups and downs in life can start with finding support in friends and family, but can also include support from CSUSM.
- Mental Health While Working Remote
- Emotional support resources through Empathia, our Employee Assistance Program
- Mental Health First Aid Training offered by Student Health and Couneling Services
- Special Population Support Seminars offered by Student Affairs
Interdependence with our surroundings and the natural world make the environment an important aspect of our overall well-being. Personal development is often affected by your natural surroundings, so by being open to welcoming sustainable innovation and practices for the entire campus, you are also learning how to take better care of yourself.
- Sustainability During a Pandemic
- Join the Environmental Stewards Association
- Participate in the Sustainable Cougars Office Program
- Take the Journey to Zero Waste and learn more about composting
- Enjoy nature by visiting some of San Diego Counties treasured parks and nature preserves
- Find ways to travel sustainably
Just like a strong and healthy body, financial fitness contributes to reducing stress, anxiety and allows you to be more productive overall. Financial planning moves with you as you transition from one stage of your life to th next, which is why it is important to get serious about your money. We have partnered with several campus and community partners to bring workshops and resources aimed at increasing financial literacy and developing healthier financial habits.
- Start saving on everyday items with Perks @ Work, including cell phone provider discounts
- Learn about the 403b Suplemental Retirement Savings Plan through Fidelity
- Learn about the 457 Deferred Compensation Plan through Savings Plus
- Take advantange of the 529 ScholarShare College Savings Plan
- Free 1:1 financial consultations through Fidelity or join a Q&A session
As lifetime learners, our intellectual wellness is fed by an openness to new ideas, our capacity to think and to question, and our willingness to master new skills. We encourage all employees to explore additional resources outside of the classroom and office that can help you expand your knowledge.
- Attend courses within the CSU with the Tuition Fee Waiver and Reduction Program
- Visit the CSU's Professional Development Library via CSU Learn
- Take advantage of the CSUSM Library and services offered
Our day-to-day work should provide personal fulfillment that maximizes our talents. Whether you find meaning in helping others or improving yourself, we have resources to point you in the right direction.
- Ergonomics and Remote Workstations
- Pre-recorded presentations and webinars on occupational topics
- CSUSM is a tobacco-free campus, learn about tobacco cessation options
- Empathia, our Employee Assistance Program, offers additional work-life resources
- Password: cougars
Proper exercise, nutrition and disease prevention all add up to a healthier you. We offer a variety of tools to support your ability to live your most healthy life.
- Take a walk on one of the many campus walking trails
- Attend free group fitness classes offered virtually by Campus Recreaton
- Utilize the CSUSM Fitness Center at a reduced cost
- Get physical and ride your bike to campus, bike lockers available for rent through Parking Services
- Join a campus intramural sports league
- Participation open to students first, faculty/staff can join as needed
- Visit a local park for exercise and to connect with nature
Creating a personal support network of family, friends and colleagues can impact your social wellness by having positive interactions and simply enjoying life. Whether it's attending events, volunteering within the community, or connecting with neighbors, finding the social outlet that works for you by accessing resources below.
- Stay Connected, Stay Social - A place for community!
- Join a Faculty/Staff Association
- Support Cougar Athletics by attending an event
- Faculty/staff receive one ticket for free per game
Spiritual wellness is focused on defining your purpose in life and learning more about yourself throughout the process. This aspect is an often-overlooked aspect of wellness, but our guiding beliefs, principles and values provide us with deeper meaning and purpose.
- Implement mindfulness practices into your daily life
- Attend a mid-day yoga session offered through Campus Recreation
- Caregiver resources through the CSU's Shiley Institute for Palliative Care
Do you have a suggestion or idea for programs or resources to be added? Don't see what you're looking for? Email email@example.com.