Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor (Instructor Guide)
Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser used specifically for taking online
quizzes in Cougar Courses (Canvas). It prevents students from printing, copying, going
to another URL, or accessing other applications (like Word) during a quiz. If a quiz
requires that LockDown Browser be used, students will not be able to take the quiz
with a standard web browser. There is also the additional option of Respondus Monitor,
which uses a student's webcam to record them while they take the quiz. These videos
are then viewable by the instructor through the Respondus LockDown Browser Dashboard.
Automated video analysis automatically flags any suspicious behavior in these videos
and prioritizes them for review.
For a quick overview, see the Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Instructor Quick Start Guide (Classic quizzes) or Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Instructor Quick Start Guide (New quizzes).
Endorsed by Executive Committee March 15, 2023
Enabling Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor
- Once you have finished setting up your quiz, you will need to use the LockDown Browser Dashboard to enable LockDown Browser for that quiz.
- If you do not see LockDown Browser on your course navigation on the left, edit your navigation to enable it. Once enabled, click LockDown Browser on the course navigation.
- First you will see links to information and resources for LockDown Browser. Click the orange "Continue to LockDown Browser" button in the lower right.
- The Dashboard will list all of the quizzes in your course and whether or not they are currently set to require LockDown Browser and Monitor.
- To enable LockDown Browser and Monitor, click on the down arrow to the left of the quiz. Then click Settings.
- Click the radio button for “’Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam." If you also want to enable Monitor, click the radio button for "Require Respondus Monitor for this exam."
- Click the blue Save + Close button.
- If you import quizzes that required LockDown Browser from a another course container, you must open the LockDown Browser Dashboard before students begin taking any quizzes that require LockDown Browser. Failure to do so will cause problems for students attempting to take the quiz.
- If you update a quiz that requires LockDown Browser or import content from another course container, we recommend checking your LockDown Browser Dashboard to ensure everything is still set correctly and there are no Errors that need to be fixed.
- Students cannot download LockDown Browser from an external link, they must do so from the quiz that requires it. This is only possible once the quiz is available. Therefore it is especially important to have a practice quiz so that students can be ready ahead of time (see #3 below).
Preparing Your Students
- Update your syllabus to include a section on LockDown Browser, what it is, why it is being used, and the technological requirements, especially the fact that it requires a full computer (cannot use a Chromebook, tablet, or iPad).
- Link to the Respondus LockDown Browser (Student Guide) in your course container.
- Create a practice quiz that requires LockDown Browser (and Monitor, if you are using
it) so that students can download LockDown Browser ahead of time and ensure their
LockDown Browser is working correctly. We recommend keeping this quiz open throughout
the term and setting it to an unlimited number of attempts so that students can test
their LockDown Browser at any point in the system if needed (for example, they get
a new computer and must re-install the LockDown Browser). Note: Students cannot download LockDown Browser from an external link, they must do so from the quiz that
requires it. This is only possible once the quiz is available. Therefore it is especially
important to have a practice quiz so that students can be ready ahead of time.