Respondus Lockdown Browser (Student Guide)
Your instructor might require the use of Respondus LockDown Browser for certain quizzes in your course. LockDown Browser is a locked browser used specifically for taking quizzes in Cougar Courses (Canvas). It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications (like Word) during a quiz. If a quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser. Your instructor may also have enabled Respondus Monitor, which uses your webcam to record you while you take the quiz.
- Review the Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Student Quick Start Guide (Classic Quizzes) or Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor Student Quick Start Guide (New Quizzes) depending on which quiz type your instructor used.
- Check to ensure your computer meets the System Requirements for Mac & PC (scroll down to the System Requirements section). Note: Windows or OS is required (cannot use Chromebook or iPad).
- Ensure you have the latest version of Firefox on your PC or the latest version of Safari on your Mac.
You cannot download LockDown Browser from an external link, you must do so from the Cougar Courses
quiz/exam that requires it. Unfortunately this is only possible once the quiz is available.
This is why we recommend instructors create a practice quiz that is available the
whole term so that you can download LockDown Browser ahead of time and ensure it is
working correctly at any point. If you do not see a practice quiz that requires LockDown
Browser in order to download/test ahead of time, please contact your instructor to
request they create one.
- Open Firefox (PC) or Safari (Mac).
- Login to Cougar Courses.
- Go into the course and go to the quiz that requires LockDown Browser. Click the "Take the Quiz" button.
- Click on "Download Respondus LockDown Browser."
- Be sure you are not using AVAST anti-virus program. The latest version of AVAST blocks the LockDown Browser and it will interfere with using Lockdown Browser until you remove it.
- Close all other programs, including Skype/Zoom and other chat systems, which may be running in the background. You may need to disable third-party plug-ins or tools enabled in Firefox.
- If Monitor is enabled, check your webcam setup to make sure your webcam and mic work.
- Take a practice quiz, if your instructor has made one available, to ensure LockDown Browser is working correctly.
Launching LockDown Browser
- Close all open programs.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting LockDown Browser.
- If prompted, choose "Canvas" from the dropdown menu.
- Log into Cougar Courses.
- Navigate to the quiz within the course and begin the quiz.
Problems Before Starting the Quiz
- First, try restarting your computer.
- When LockDown Browser does not start up or there are issues accessing a quiz, it is
sometimes a security setting or another application interfering with LockDown Browser:
- Ensure all applications are closed including background applications (except security).
- Disable or remove third party apps or plug-ins from Firefox.
- Make sure only one security application is running on your system.
- If able, click the Help Center button at the top of the LockDown Browser window.
Help Center contains three areas of support:
- webcam check
- system check
- a link to Knowledge Base
- "Need more help?" button that connects you to their Live Chat
- Visit the Respondus Knowledge Base.
Still Having Problems?
- Uninstall LockDown Browser
- PC: Remove via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
- MAC: Find the LockDown Browser icon in the Applications folder and move it to trash. Empty trash to complete uninstall.
- Restart your computer.
- Download the LockDown Browser (refer to Downloading steps above).
- If troubleshooting was unsuccessful, follow the steps in the Reporting Problems section below.
Problems During the Quiz
If you experience problems after you have already started the quiz, keep in mind the quiz timer will continue to advance as you are trouble shooting.
- Retry: Close LockDown Browser and all other applications. Follow the steps in the Launching LockDown Browser section above.
- Restart: Restart your computer. Follow the steps in the Launching LockDown Browser section above. Do not open any other programs.
- Review: Follow the troubleshooting steps in the Problems Before Starting Quiz section above.
- Reinstall: Follow the steps in the Still Having Problems section above.
- Report: Follow the steps in the Reporting Problems section below.
If troubleshooting was unsuccessful:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- cc your instructor on the email.
- Include the course name and number, title of quiz, and due date.
- Explain the issue as clearly as possible. If possible, include a picture of the issue or error message.
- Describe the troubleshooting steps you have completed thus far and the results.
- Identify what version of Windows or OS your computer is running.