Zoom is a virtual conferencing tool. In addition to hosting and recording meetings, Zoom can be used for office hours, live lectures, and recording microlectures. Students can use it to communite with classmates, study groups, work on group projects, and record presentations. Watch this example of a video presentation created using Zoom
To provide modern facilities and support for:
- Synchronous distance learning via web conferencing-integrated classroom systems.
- Active Learning Classroom systems.
- Synchronous online meetings and discussions.
- Recording of synchronous communications for later on-demand web delivery.
- Business communications via web conferencing.
- Web conferencing using Zoom (up to 50 particpants);
- Large meetings using Zoom (up to 300 participants);
- Webinars (up to three thousand (3,000) connections)
Some business uses for these systems and facilities
- Meetings with committees and teams at a distance - saves the time and cost of travel to remote locations.
- Interviewing prospective employees outside the local area - opens up recruitment worldwide at reduced cost.
- Use for professional development across a wider area, making to both more convenient and more affordable.
Some academic uses for these systems and facilities
- Online office hours.
- Bringing remote subject-matter experts into the CSUSM classroom.
- Letting our students interact with people and places around the world.
- Connecting the campus to education partners in K-12 and other institutions.
- Allowing the teaching of courses across campuses that lack critical mass on a single campus.
- Reaching overflow audiences for events larger than any rooms on campus.
- Archiving lectures, demonstrations, and training for on-demand delivery.
Some of the benefits
- Opens the world to students – virtual trips expose students to peoples and places that might otherwise be inaccessible.
- Develops communication and presentation skills of students – skills which are valuable in the workplace.
- Adds authenticity to educational investigations and connects students with professionals in a variety of fields.
- Has great potential for virtual career investigation/exploration.