IITS has noticed a recent increase in the number of fake job opportunities being sent to student emails. You can find a handful of examples in the Fake Job Email Examples page.
Here is a list of warning signs that you can use to help determine whether or not a job opportunity is a fake:
- You are promised high pay for little work.
- You are offered a job without an application, interview, or discssion with the employer.
- You are asked to share your banking/credit card information.
- You are offered money before you begin working.
- You are asked for personal information such as your Social Security number or Driver's license number.
- The person who sent you the email has an irregular email extension.
- Frequent grammar and punctuation mistakes within the email.
As you can see, it can be hard to tell if a job is a scam or legitimate. If you have any concerns please feel free to contact InfoSec at firstname.lastname@example.org.