CSUSM offers a wide variety of different classrooms for different purposes:
- Flat-floored rooms - these are the most common type of room, the typical lecture-style room. Student
desks are usually moveable for room reconfiguration.
- Tiered rooms - these have a number of advantages, primary of which is great sightlines to the front
of the room. Since the furniture is built in place, this kind of room cannot be reconfigured.
- Distance Learning Classroooms (DL) - this type of room provides real-time voice and video communications with similar
rooms at CSUSM, our satellite campus in Temecula, or other institutions worldwide.
- Active Learning Classrooms (ALC) - ALC's are set up to foster active learning, problem-based work, and team work. Students
work at group stations with other students and share data across the room in real-time.
- Computer Labs - equipped with a computer for each student, these rooms are for disciplines using
computer work as a teaching activity. CSUSM has both Windows and Mac labs.
- Studios - for teaching and learning around artisitic subjects, studio spaces are available
Primary rapid response for classroom issues can be reached at x8651.
What make a classroom "smart"?
While it can vary, all smart rooms provide the following items:
- An internet-connected computer;
- A data display system that allows audio amplification and video display of the computer
- Wireless internet access for all participants;
- Connections for a personal laptop;
- An instructor's station - this may be a desk, lectern, or wall-mounted unit.
Some rooms have special capabilities, such as:
- Multiple displays for large rooms;
- Voice amplification for large rooms;
- Digital whiteboards;
- Document cameras;
- High-definition (HD) displays.
What's a document camera?
A document camera is essentially a camera turned to point downward. Items placed in
its field of vision can be displayed on the large screen at the front of the room.
These could be paper, transparencies, books, photos, physical objects, etc. Also,
you can draw or annotate and this will be displayed too. It is our goal to equip all
rooms on campus with document camera, but this is not complete yet. Most document
cameras are ceiling mounted, so they are out of the way.
What's a high-definition (HD) room?
Some materials, particularly those with high levels of detail, benefit from being
displayed in true HD, just like movies you watch at home. Equipping rooms with HD
gear is somewhat more expensive than our regular rooms, so there are only a handful
of them, but we will be adding more.
What's a digital whiteboard?
For those disciplines that do a lot of whiteboard writing- math, phyics, statistics,
anything involving equations and diagrams - there is a way to allow handwriting to
be displayed using the room system. This is accomplished using a large tablet display
that sits on or near the instructors station. Benefits include: endless writing surface,
automatic saving of what's being drawn, the instructor can remain facing the audience.
How can I bring people from around the world into my class or conference room?
CSUSM offers Zoom, a fully-featured web conferencing package. When combined with the rooms' smart system,
and a microphone and webcam, you can do real-time collaboration and conferencing with
almost anyone in the world with a computer or portable device. Possible uses include:
- Bringing subject matter experts into the classroom;
- Collaborating with remote project teams;
- Expanding a class presentation to other rooms on or off campus.