FAQs About Course Setup
Reusing Course Content
- Can you copy the content from one semester/section to another for me?
- Can you copy the content from another instructor's course into mine?
With over 3000 courses each semester, we don’t have the capacity to do this for instructors. However, there are two different ways the other instructor can provide you with their content. The first is that they can create a backup of their content, send the backup file to you, which you can then restore into your course. Here is the help guide on how to backup and restore content. The other instructor will follow step 1, and then send you the file. You will then follow step 3.
The other option is they can manually add you to their course. Here is our help guide on how to add users. To allow you to use their content they should set your role as Facilitator without Gradebook Access. You will then follow the import process to bring their content into your course. Here is our help guide on how to import content.
- I'm having trouble backing up and restoring my course(s) from AY 2013/14, AY 14/15,
AY 15/16, AY 16/17, AY 17/18, or AY 18/19.
If you are off campus, you’ll need to use CougarApps to backup and restore courses from those academic years. You must complete the entire backup/restore process from within CougarApps. The instructions on how to do so are available when you click the Previous Courses link at the bottom of Cougar Courses.
Please keep in mind these courses are from old versions of Moodle. Therefore we cannot guarantee they will restore completely.
- I imported/restored the wrong course. What do I do now?
There are a few options. First, if you want to completely delete everything in your course, contact us at email@example.com and we can delete the entire course. When the course is recreated a few hours later, it will be totally blank.
Another option is to delete the incorrect section(s), which will delete all of the items within the section(s). To delete an entire section, underneath the name of section click the X icon. Or you can simply delete items individually. To delete an individual item, underneath the item click the three dots. Then select Delete.
- Can I copy just a few items from one course into another course?
Yes, when you go through the Import process you can choose which specific items to bring over. Please see our help guide on how to import content. Pay special attention to steps 4 & 5.
Keep in mind imported items will be placed in the corresponding module (by location, not by name). For example, if your imported content was in the third module in the original course, it will be in the third module in the new course (regardless of the module name).
- I tried to import items into my course but it looks like it didn't work. Where are
Before you try importing again, first make sure you are in the right course. You should be in the new course, the course that does not have the items you want. If you are in the old course, the course that does have the items, then you are in the wrong course and you might have duplicated the items. Check your course to make sure you did not duplicate the items. If there are duplicated items, delete the duplicates before attempting the import process again.
If you are in the right course, it might be the items were imported, but that they are not in the module you expected them to be. Imported items will be placed in the corresponding module by location, not by name. For example, if your imported content was in the third module in the original course, it will be in the third module in the new course (regardless of the module name). Check the other modules for the items, or use the magnifying glass in the upper right of Contents to search for the items.
Once you are sure you are in the right course and the items aren't in a different module, then attempt the import process again. Please see our help guide on how to import content to make sure you are following the necessary steps.
Setup Your Course
- How do I change my course from the topics format to the weekly (dates) format?Please see our help guide on how to change your course format.
- How can I change the name of topics/sections?
Select the topic from the Contents area. Click the Edit Section button below the topic title. Edit the Section name and click Save changes.
- How can I add a picture or text to a topic/section?
To add additional text or images at the top of the topic/section:
- Select the topic from the Contents.
- Click the Edit Section icon below the topic title.
- In the Summary box click the expand icon at top left of the text editor to display more options.
Select the Image icon and use the Insert/Edit image popup to navigate to your image file and select it. In the Insert/Edit image popup, select the Appearance tab to set the alignment, dimensions, border, etc.
See the our help guide on using the text editor toolbar for more information on adding images, tables, links. etc.
- How do I add more sections/topics to my course?At the bottom right of the Contents area, click on Create a New Section. Enter a name for the section and a summary in the Contents box (not required). Scroll to the bottom and click Create Section. The new section will be added as the last section.
- How do I reorder topics/sections of my course?Please see our help guide on how you can move entire sections.
- How do I delete unused sections/topics from my course?To delete an entire section, s elect the topic from the Contents area. Underneath the name of section click the X icon. Confirm you wish to delete it.
Note: Deleting a topic will delete all resources and activities within the topic as well.
- How can I move individual items within my course?Yes. Please see our help guide on how to move items.
- How can I get a student's view of my course?You can briefly switch your role to student to view your course as a student would. Please see our help guide on how to view as a student.
- My block disappeared. How can I get them back?
Blocks are now located on the Course Dashboard, available on the right below the Contents area. To add/edit/remove blocks on your Course Dashboard please see our help guide on customizing your blocks.
- Can I reorder my blocks?Yes, on the Course Dashboard, click the Edit Blocks button. In the upper right of the block you wish to move click and hold the arrows icon. Drag the block to where you would like to. Keep in mind you can't drag a block above the Edit Blocks button.