Grade Essay Questions
Why do this?
Students will not see an overall score for their quiz until you grade any manually
graded questions like Essay questions. To make grading easier for you, the responses
are grouped by question and not by student. If you will be providing feedback to students
on their Essay responses, in the Review Options section of the settings you want to
check the boxes for The Attempt and Specific Feedback (likely After the Quiz is Closed),
otherwise students will not be able to see your feedback to their responses.
Grade Essay Questions
- Click on your quiz on your course homepage.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right to open the Quiz Administration block. Then
click the arrow next to Results to expand the menu. If you accidentally click on the word Results, wait for the page
to load, then you will need to click the gear icon again to reopen the Quiz Administration
- Click Manual grading.
- This will bring you to the page that will show all of the questions that need to be
manually graded. For each question you will see how many still need to be graded,
how many have already been graded, and the total. Click “grade all” for the question you wish to grade.
- Set your desired options: which attempts to grade (all, those that need grading, or
those that have been previously graded), the number of question responses to display
on one page, and the order of the responses (randomly, by date, or by student name).
- When finished setting your options, click Change Options.
- Below each response enter your feedback in the Comment field. Then enter the score for that response in the “Points” field just below.
*Note: if you entered anything in the Grader Information box when creating the question,
it will be displayed above the Comment box.
- Scroll down to the next response and continue grading the responses on this page.
When you reach the bottom click "Save and go to the next page."
- Once all responses to that question are graded (and saved) scroll to the top and click
“Back to the list of questions”.
- Select grade all for the next question. Repeat until all questions have been graded.
- Verify there is a "0" in the “To grade” column for all questions.